How to Transfer a LPN License to Hawaii


In order to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in any state, you must have a LPN license issued from that particular state. If you move to a different state, such as Hawaii, and wish to continue your career as an LPN, you must obtain a license in your new state of residence by "endorsement" rather than by examination.

Obtaining an LPN License by Endorsement in Hawaii

  • Meet all of the original requirements for a LPN license in the state. This includes the completion of a board-approved and accredited nursing program, baccalaureate or associate degree and either the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) or the State Board Test Pool Exam (SBTPE) in another state.

  • Complete the Hawaii Application for License Without Exam (see the Resources link below). Be sure to either type your responses or print legibly using blue or black ink. It is also important that you include your social security number on the application. Your SSN is a federal requirement for a professional license of any kind.

  • Include a check or money order made payable to Hawaii Commerce and Consumer Affairs for the application fee. The fee amount varies depending on when your will receive your license, so you will need to contact the Hawaii Board of Nursing at (808) 586-3000 to verify the amount due.

  • Fill out and send via certified mail the Verification of License Form (NSG-03 found on the Resources link) to the state/territory board of nursing in which you received your original LPN license by examination. You will also need verification of your NCLEX or SBTPE exam scores and your education credentials.

  • Approach your new employer in Hawaii and ask that he fill out and sign the Verification of Employment Form (also found on the Resources link).

  • Submit the following to the Hawaii Board of Nursing: the application for licensure without exam, the application fee, a copy of your current US LPN license with expiration date, proof of mailing for the Verification of License Form, and the Verification of Employment Form.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you submit the items in Step 6 properly, you will receive a temporary permit to work as an LPN in Hawaii while the Board fully processes your application. Keep in mind, however, that you will only receive one permit and you can only use that permit to work for the employer listed on the Verification of Employment Form.
  • If you are transferring from Canada to Hawaii, it's important to know that the Hawaiian Board of Nursing does not recognize the CNATE exam as acceptable for obtaining an LPN License in Hawaii.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit coopgreg/
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!