How to Get Your Father's War Medals


Medals earned during military service are not only important to service members, but also to their families. If you have a loved one who served in the Armed Forces, you can easily obtain information about any awards, medals or badges he received during his time in service. Once you know which commendations your loved one earned, it is easy to buy replacement medals for display or as a gift.

Things You'll Need

  • DD 214
  • Form SF 180

Finding the medals

  • Check old records for a copy of the DD 214, the record of separation from active duty service. This document will list any awards, badges, citations or medals that the service member received.

  • Fill out Form SF 180, available at, to request a DD 214, if you don’t have one. Alternatively, you can request the paperwork through the eVetRecs service (also accessible at, as long as you are either the service member or the next of kin. You will need the full name, social security or service number, birthdate and as much information as you can provide about the time of service.

  • Make a list of awards, using the DD 214. Visit a military surplus store, online military retailer or a Clothing and Sales store on any military base to purchase the correct medals.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you don’t have all of the information required on the forms, fill out as much as you can. Enclose a letter detailing everything you know about the service member, including duty stations, assignments, length of service and dates of service. Mail this to:
  • National Personnel Records Center
  • ?Military Personnel Records
  • ?9700 Page Avenue
  • ?St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
  • ?314-801-0800
  • Mount the medals in a specially-designed display case that can be purchased at the same store as the medals. If the service member is deceased, you can display the medals alongside the flag that draped the coffin.
  • You should receive a response in about 10 business days. However, some requests take longer, especially if you do not have all of the basic information about the service member. Some records were destroyed in a 1973 fire, so information must be compiled from other sources.
  • There is usually no fee to access these records, as long as you are the next of kin. Beware of companies that try to charge you for this information.


Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

  • How to Obtain Medals for WWII Service

    Medals earned through military service, especially in an epic conflict like World War II, are a priceless treasure for those who have...

  • List of Campaign Medals

    List of Campaign Medals. ... Families of soldiers that died during a war receive the Purple ... How to Earn Navy Ribbons...

  • How to Restore My WWII Medals

    War medal restoration deserves time and attention so that you can bring out the full detail of the design while avoiding damage...

  • How to Replace World War II Medals

    How to Replace World War II Medals. ... How to Get Your Father's War Medals. Medals earned during military service are not...

  • Veterans Day Gifts

    Serving in the armed forces and going to war are perhaps the most memorable, ... have her medals, ... Father's Day Gift...

  • How to Find Free WWII Enlistment Records

    Here's how to get WW2 enlistment records for free ... How to Find Information on My Deceased Grandfather Who Served in World...

  • How to Find Your Father's War Records

    Thousands of people research their family history, and for a father who fought in a war, his military service record may be...

Related Searches

Read Article

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!