The rich flavor of crab meat is a delicacy. This sauce avoids the work of cracking and peeling crab shells and get you to that soft, succulent meat. There are many recipes---Italian, Creole and Malaysian, to name a few. This recipe could be classified as pan-European, providing two simple variations on a basic taste principle. It is best served over long, thin pasta and paired with a dry white wine.
Things You'll Need
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lump crab meat
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or dry sherry
- Salt (to taste)
- White pepper (to taste)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (only for creamy version)
- 1 tbsp. flour (only for creamy version)
- 1 tbsp. butter (only for creamy version)
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley (to garnish)
Finely chop the shallot. Mince the garlic cloves.
Drain and rinse the crab meat. Remove any pieces of shell or cartilage from the meat and chop.
Saute the shallots and garlic in olive oil.
Add the crab meat, lemon juice, wine or sherry, salt and white pepper to the pan. Heat through.
If making the creamy version, make a roux by whisking the flour and butter together on one side of the pan. Slowly add the heavy cream while whisking. Heat through.
Remove from heat. Top with chopped fresh parsley. Serve over pasta.
Tips & Warnings
- Canned crab meat is the easiest way to work with crab meat; even many restaurants do it. Upon opening the can, drain it and take a whiff. It should not smell fishy. In terms of color, it should be an ivory. Some hints of blue are also natural. The flesh should be firm, and it should have no unpleasant aftertaste. Soaking the crab meat in ice water for 10 minutes, draining it, and patting it dry will remove most of the metallic taste from the can. Jumbo lump crab meat is a higher grade than lump (backfin) crab meat, but lump is the preferred grade for most recipes. Fat-free heavy cream usually works just as well as the full-fat version. To make a spicy crab sauce, omit the lemon and cream, and add crushed red pepper, paprika, and a dash of hot sauce. Garnish with green onions.
- If the crab meat has an unpleasant odor or is mushy, do not use it.
Making Red Pepper Cream Sauce for Crab Cakes Recipe
Learn how to make red pepper cream sauce for crab cakes with red pepper cream recipe with expert cooking tips in this...
How to Make Stuffed Fish With Crab Meat & Shrimp
Make stuffed fish with crab meat and shrimp with help from a chef and restaurateur in this free video clip. ... How...
How to Make Sauce for Crab Cakes
How to cook sauce for crab cakes; tips, tricks and tools you'll need in this free online cooking video.
How to Add Sauce to Your Crab Cakes
How to add sauce to crab cakes; tips, tricks and tools you'll need in this free online cooking video.
Instructions for How to Cook Lump Crab Meat
Pour mixture into small heat-proof bowls and use as a dipping sauce for the claws of your lump crab meat. Related Searches....
Adding Lump Crab Meat to Crab Cakes
How to Stir the Sauce for Crab Cakes. ... this is lump crab meat that you can buy in most super markets,...
How to Make Butter for Crab-Dipping
Clarified butter contains pure butterfat, and it works well for dipping crab and lobster meat. ... How to Make Garlic Butter Sauce...
Making Basil Cream Sauce For Stuffed Shrimp
How to make basil cream sauce for stuffed shrimp with crab meat stuffing; get expert tips on making seafood recipes in this...
Ingredients for Crab Cakes With Red Pepper Cream
Making Red Pepper Cream Sauce for Crab Cakes Recipe. ... lemon, a couple of slices of bread (prefer whole wheat), our crab...