Citizens of many countries can get multiple-month tourist or business visas for Malaysia on arrival, but in some cases you will need to visit the Embassy of Malaysia in Muscat. Follow this step-by-step guide to figure out if you can travel to Malaysia from Oman without a pre-approved visa, or what you will need to do to obtain a visa before your departure.
Things You'll Need
- For all travelers:
- International passport valid for at least 90 days after your intended departure from Malaysia
- For travelers who require a visa prior to departure for Malaysia:
- 2 passport-size photos
- Visa fee (varies by country of origin)
- Two completed and signed application forms
- Proof of onward journey (return ticket or travel itinerary from a travel agent)
- Dates of intended travel
- For travelers seeking a valid student or work visa or visa with reference:
- Proof of sufficient funds (original and photocopy of most recent bank statement)
- Letter of introduction (LOI) from your college, university or employer
Visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia at http://www.kln.gov.my/?m_id=53/. Click on the letter for your country of origin. For example, if you are a citizen of Oman, click the letter "O."
You will be brought to a screen detailing the visa requirements for each country starting with that letter. There are three categories of visas: Without Visa, Visa Without Reference, and Visa With Reference. If you require a student or work visa, you will need a Visa With Reference. These visas must be approved by the Department of Immigration before your arrival. If you require only a tourist or business visa, look at the first column to see if you can arrive in Malaysia without a visa and how long you can stay. If you cannot, or if you require a student or work visa, check to see how long you can stay in Malaysia with the other types of visas. Citizens of Oman can get a three-month visa on arrival in Malaysia and not need visit the Embassy of Malaysia unless permission to work or study is needed.
If the visa on arrival that is offered to citizens of your country is long enough to meet your needs, then you do not need to apply for a visa to Malaysia in person. If you cannot obtain a visa on arrival, or if you need a different type of visa or a visa for a longer period of time, visit the Embassy of Malaysia in Muscat.
The Embassy of Malaysia in Muscat is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday through Wednesday. Thursday and Friday the embassy is closed. Call the embassy at (+968) 24698329 to ask about the type of visa you need and to confirm what materials you will need to apply for it.
Tips & Warnings
- The Embassy of Malaysia can be found at the address listed below. You can also contact the embassy through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (+968) 24605031.
How to Get an Import License in Malaysia
In order to import products or merchandise into Malaysia, you need a license. You must obtain a license and/or permit directly from...
How to Get a Tourist Visa for Malaysia
Malaysia is a country located in South East Asia. Many people travel to this country to experience the unique culture, beautiful scenery...
How to Get a Job in Malaysia
Getting a job in Malaysia can be challenging, especially if you are a foreigner with dreams of working abroad in this nation...