How to get a copy of a Passport


If you are planning a trip outside of the US borders you should make sure you have a passport or get a copy of your passport. This article will show you how to get a copy of your passport.

First, report your passport as lost or stolen by filling out Form DS-64 and sending it to the State Department's passport services branch.

Next go to the post office which accepts passport applications. You can locate that Post Office by going to USPS website (link provided below this article) and click on "locator".

When you go to the Post Office, bring with you filled out application which can be printed off USPS website. Also bring cash or checkbook to pay the passport fees (currently $85. - $100.). If you are renewing your old passport it will cost less by $25, because you do not have to pay "acceptance fee".

You need to have 2 identical passport photos made prior to going to the post office. Photos must be no older than 6 months and they must measure exactly 2 inches by 2 inches in size. Some post offices also provide passport photo service for a fee about $15.

Passport card is also available instead of old fashioned book passport but its use is limited only to some countries. RFID chip is embedded into this card and the book passport so if you're concerned about identity theft consider getting RFID blocking cover.

Tips & Warnings

  • Processing time can be up to 6 weeks. You ought to apply several months ahead of planned date of your trip. Expedited service is available but it involves extra fees.

Related Searches

Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!