How to Apply for your child's CRBA and US Passport if born in the Philippines


A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a certified document offered to people who are under 18 years old. The document is only issued to a child born to parents who are U.S. citizens. A child who acquired citizenship at birth is also allowed to apply for the document. The document is recognized by the Social Security Agency, schools and various institutions in the country. It is considered to be similar to birth certificates which are offered by authorities in states.

Things You'll Need

  • USC Parent's Proof of Citizenship: US Passport, Birth Certificate
  • USC Parent's 5 years presence in the States prior to child's conception: Employment, School records.
  • Child's Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Contract
  • Obtain the Consular Report of Birth Abroad application forms and ensure you have all the documents required for the process. You'll need at least three passport photographs of your child and two of the parents. The photographs you present must be identical. The authorities also require your child's original birth certificate from the Philippines. A copy of this document is also needed. If your child is already attending school, you need to provide his photographs at varying ages. As a parent, you also need to provide evidence showing that you are a U.S. citizen. If you are married, you'll need to produce your marriage certificate. For parents who are not married, an affidavit proving you are the child's parent is required.

  • Pay the application fee for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad once you have gathered all the documents that are required. The application fee may vary from time to time, but as of August 2011, it was $100. This fee is paid when you go for your appointment at the Consular Section. You will be required to pay the fee in cash or credit card. Some of the credit cards which are accepted include Diners Club, Discover, American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Apart from the application fee, you will also be required to cater for the delivery costs because once the report is ready, it is sent by courier. The fee also varies depending on your delivery address.

  • Apply for a US passport once the Consular Report of Birth Abroad has been approved. You need to have the right documents in order to apply for a passport including a completed application form and receipt indicating you have paid a passport fee. If your child is below 16 years old and one of the parents is absent, you need to have a signed Statement of Consent form. In a situation where neither of the parents is available and only a guardian is present, a special power of attorney or guardianship affidavit should be submitted during the application.

  • Schedule an appointment after gathering all the necessary documents and paying the fee. The child has to be present during the interview and it is advisable for both parents to be available. If you are applying for a passport for more than one child, you are required to schedule different appointments for each of them.

Tips & Warnings

  • Be sure to provide proof of relationship before the baby was born. (Pictures)
  • Bring proof of the parents physical presence of the same location during the child's conceptio. ( PASSPORT ENTRY/EXIT STAMP, receipts, flight itinerary)
  • You can apply a CRBA and a US Passport at the same time.
  • If the child is born out of wedlock make sure you to provide strong proof that the baby is really your child.


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!