Most military pilot jobs require you to have a college degree before you will even be considered for flight school. The Army and Army National Guard offer the one alternative to become a military aviator without first attending college. It is possible to start on the path to become a helicopter pilot in the Army National Guard right out of high school.
Visit your local Army National Guard recruiter and discuss the process of becoming an aviation warrant officer in the Army National Guard.
Schedule and take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB, exam. You must score 110 or higher on the General Technical portion of the exam to be eligible for helicopter flight school.
Enlist in the Army National Guard. You must first be enlisted in the National Guard before being selected to become a warrant officer and go to helicopter flight school.
Prepare for and take the Flight Aptitude Selection Test, or FAST. You will need to score 90 or better to be eligible for helicopter training.
Complete an interview by your local National Guard flight school board once you meet all of the requirements for the warrant officer and helicopter pilot programs.
Check your place on the flight school order of merit list, If you have passed the required mental and physical examinations and successfully completed the interviews. Once on the list you can be called up for warrant officer school and flight training at any time.
Tips & Warnings
- Warrant Officer school and Army helicopter training take approximately two years. When you have completed and passed the courses, you will return to your National Guard unit as a rated helicopter pilot.
- Advanced study and practice of the ASVAB and FAST exams will help you prepare for the process of being selected for flight school.
- Do not rush into enlisting in the National Guard until you know the process of becoming a helicopter pilot and the recruiter has helped you get on the right track.
- Math and technical skills are very important to qualify for flight school and become a pilot.
- Photo Credit Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Air National Guard Pilot Requirements
Becoming an Air National Guard pilot is a competitive and lengthy process. Most Air National Guard units take only one or two...
How to Become a United States Coast Guard Pilot
You can become a United States Coast Guard pilot with lots of study, training and perseverance. The competition is keen, but each...