How to Find Unclaimed Superannuation Funds

Unclaimed superannuation funds are not lost to you -- you just haven't found them yet.
Unclaimed superannuation funds are not lost to you -- you just haven't found them yet. (Image: Digital Vision./Photodisc/Getty Images)

The Australian Taxation Office may have money that belongs to you from superannuation funds (retirement funds) if you ever worked in Australia. If you have changed jobs or your address or have moved out of the country, the superannuation provider may have lost contact with you because of inaccurate or outdated information. If you think that the government may be holding your lost superannuation money there are methods for checking your name against lost fund databases.

Determine if you were a member at any of the eligible Australian superannuation fund providers: super funds, approved deposit funds, eligible rollover funds, and retirement savings accounts. You can check your pay stubs to find the name of the funds you contributed to. The Australian Taxation Office has a database with lost members of these superannuation funds.

Search for the Australian Taxation Office to find lost superannuation money. This search can be done online by using the office super seeker database, by telephone by calling 13 28 65 and 13 10 20, or by manually completing a super seeker form. You will need to provide personal information such as names you previously used and birth date. If you can provide the Tax File Number or TFL, the process may be completed much faster. Follow the Taxation Office Instructions for finding your name.

Ask your current Australian superannuation fund provider to perform a search for lost money on your behalf. This search can be done instead of performing your own for unclaimed super monies.

Understand the tax consequences for withdrawing from lost superannuation funds if you happened to be a match. Read the tax instructions at the Taxation Office Internet site under the "Individuals" tab.

You may have to pay the Australian government taxes before withdrawing your lost funds in certain situations. If you are not 65 years old or older; or if your fund owns back taxes you may have to pay them before withdrawal.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!