How to Change Your Driver's License in Florida


If information on your Florida driver's license has become outdated, you must change it with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. In fact, address changes must be reported within 10 days of the change. Name changes must be made in person at your local driver license office, but address changes typically can be made online, by mail or in person.

Identification Documents

  • Regardless of what you need to change on your license, you must submit proof of identity to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. If you're an American citizen, FDHSMV accepts such documents as a U.S. passport, birth certificate or certificate of naturalization or citizenship. Foreign citizens must submit proof of legal residence in the states. This can be done with such documents as a legal permanent resident card, also known as a green card, or foreign passport with visa stamp.

Address Change

  • Generally, you can change the address on your Florida driver's license in person at a local office, online or by mail. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles provides a list of locations on its website. If changing your address by mail, complete an address change form, also available on the FDHSMV website, and mail it to the Bureau of Records, P.O. Box 5775, Tallahassee, FL32314-5775. Include a $25 check or money order payable to Division of Driver Licenses and a copy of an acceptable identification document. Go to to change your address online.

Name Change

  • To change the name on your driver's license, you must visit a local driver license office in person. In addition to providing proof of your identity and paying the replacement card fee, you also must prove your name was changed legally with original or certified documents. For example, if your name changed because you got married, bring in your marriage license, or domestic partnership registration if you entered into a civil union. If the change was because of a divorce, bring in your divorce decree. If you petitioned a court to change your name, bring in the name change order issued by the court.

Correct Errors

  • If there is a clerical error on your license, call FDPSMV's customer service center at (850) 617-2000. FDPSMV will correct your record after conducting an investigation. You can also report errors on your driver record. You can access your diver record online for free or pay for a copy of it at your local driver license office or by mail.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How To Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!