Soft, plump lips can be your best facial feature. A good scrub followed by a conditioning, plumping balm are all you need to achieve a healthy, smooth look. While commercial lip scrubs and plumpers may be effective, they are usually overpriced and contain some questionable ingredients that you may not want to put on your lips. A better option is to make a natural, inexpensive lip scrub and plumper with ingredients from your pantry, such as cinnamon and oils.
- Soft toothbrush
- Utensil for mixing
- A few cotton buds
- An oil, such as olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil
- Sugar or baking soda (for scrubbing)
- Cinnamon (opt for ceylon cinnamon vs. cassia cinnamon whenever possible)
- Optional: Cinnamon leaf oil
To make the lip plumper as effective as possible, use immediately and discard leftovers.
Cinnamon is a mild irritant to the skin, so it stimulates blood flow in the lips. That causes mild swelling, redness and a tingly sensation, which temporarily plumps the lips and usually lasts a few hours. It is a safe method, but it should not be overdone to prevent potential drying and scaling.
Mix 1 teaspoon of oil with sugar or baking soda. Pick up some of the mixture with your toothbrush, then gently brush your lips to remove dead skin. Remove the scrub with a wet cotton bud.
To make the lip plumper:
- Mix half a teaspoon of oil with enough cinnamon to achieve a pasty texture
- Apply to lips with a finger, and massage until the lips start to tingle
- Keep on your lips for at least 10 minutes
- Gently dab the mixture off with a cotton bud
If you like to wear lip gloss, apply a small amount on the back of your hand, then add one drop of cinnamon leaf oil and apply it to your lips. It will give your lips that full, plump look!