Control the quality of your flock's diet by learning how to make your own organic chicken feed. Since chickens' dietary needs change as they age, make changes to your recipe to ensure your animals receive the proper nutrients. When you begin feeding your flock whole grains, it will take their bodies a little time to adjust. Keep grit, such as sand and granite, available at all times as it helps the chickens digest their feed.
Things You'll Need
- 7 to 8 parts organic whole corn
- 3 parts organic soft white wheat
- 3 parts organic hard red winter wheat
- 2 parts organic oat groats
- 1 to 2 parts organic dried milk
- 1 to 2 parts fish or organic soybean meal
- 1/2 part ground oyster shell
- 1/10 part salt
- Container with lid
Pour all the ingredients into an airtight container.
Use your hands to thoroughly mix your organic chicken feed.
Cover your container of organic chicken feed with a lid. Store the feed in a cool, dry spot. Keep the area clean -- this will help you avoid attracting rodents.