Attending a Jimmy Buffett concert is not just about listening to his music. It's a lifestyle. If you're a fledgling and want to fly with the parrotheads, here are a few pointers.
Things You'll Need
- summer clothing, especially tropical-looking
- cheeseburger fixin's
- shrimp fixin's
- margarita fixin's
- displayable parrot or shark paraphernalia
When in Margaritaville, dress as a Margaritavillager; i.e., anything summery like straw hats, shorts, sandals and colorful Hawaiian shirts. Grass skirts and coconut bras are preferred attire as well -- on women, and some men.
The proper parrothead plans sustenance around native dishes mentioned in Jimmy Buffett songs; cheeseburgers (in paradise), margaritas (for "wasting away in Margaritaville") and shrimp "they're beginning to boil -- bubble, bubble, bubble, bubble . . .")
Some ambitious parrotheads set up their own tiki bars in the parking lot, complete with a clock stopped at 5 (since it's always "5 o'clock somewhere.")
Then there are the traditional icons. Sharks (for "Fins") can be inflatable or stuffed toys, or represented by a large dorsal fin on your car roof.
Parrot hatwear and toy parrots are fashionable in Margaritaville. Why parrots? Onetime Coral Reefer Timothy B. Schmit (later with the Eagles) surveyed the Hawaiian shirted and otherwise colorfully clad crowd. Many of these fans follow Buffett around, a la the Grateful Dead. Coining a term, Schmit told his bandmates to scope out all the "parrotheads" For you cheeseburger heads, there are even cheeseburger hats.
Tips & Warnings
- Arrive at a Jimmy Buffett concert at least a couple hours early to soak up the carnival-like atmosphere.
- Exercise all safety precautions if grilling in the parking lot.
- The concert is not a good place for live parrots -- with heavy traffic, crowds and the overly imbibed posing potential threats. Also, you can't take them into the concert venue. Leave Polly home and bring a stuffed toy.
- Be prepared to sit and wait when trying to exit the parking lot after the concert.
- If you drink, do so responsibly, especially if driving. Be aware that some around you may not be so responsible.
- Photo Credit Rick Diamond/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
How to See a Jimmy Buffett Concert
Jimmy Buffett concerts are great experiences for people of all ages. In reality, it doesn't even matter if you like the music...
How to Get Tickets to Jimmy Kimmel Live
Fans of Emmy-winning comedian and talk show host Jimmy Kimmel can get the opportunity to see him at work just by requesting...
How to Make a Parrothead Hat
Whether you are heading to a Jimmy Buffett concert or holding a backyard Parrothead party, a one-of-a-kind hat is the perfect way...
Food Ideas for a Jimmy Buffett Party
If you're having a Jimmy Buffett-themed, you're in luck for food ideas; he included a lot of food and drink references in...
What to Wear to a Jimmy Buffet Party
Jimmy Buffett is a famous American singer-songwriter whose songs are often celebratory in nature. Many of his songs reference tropical islands and...
Jimmy Buffett-Themed Party Ideas
Jimmy Buffett fans know how to party, and if you are looking to throw the perfect theme party for the Parrothead in...
- What to Wear to a Rock Concert