It's all too easy to pop something into the microwave and leave the room. Sometimes when food is left to cook too long, it can burn and create a less than pleasant lingering odor in the microwave that comes out to greet you every time you open the door. It may not even be the result of one particular instance; it could be that over time, it has just begun to develop a smell. Either way, it's easily fixed.
Things You'll Need
- Dish soap
- Paper towel
- Soft, clean cloth
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
Take the tray out of the microwave and scrub the inside with a clean cloth dipped in warm, soapy water. It may help to heat a damp paper towel for a minute to help to loosen up any stuck-on food and debris before cleaning. Wash the tray thoroughly before placing it back inside the microwave.
Cut up one whole lemon into pieces and put it in a bowl of water. Use enough water to cover the lemon and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes. Let the bowl sit in the microwave until it is cool. Then discard it.
Set a bowl of baking soda in the microwave and leave it overnight to absorb any lingering odors.
Heat a bowl of vinegar in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Vinegar is great for killing unwanted odors. When the vinegar is cool enough to touch, dip a clean cloth into it and wipe down the inside of the microwave with it. Leave the door open and allow it to air out.
Heat a bowl of vanilla extract in the microwave until it is hot (about three minutes). Let the vanilla sit in the microwave overnight.
Tips & Warnings
- If the smell seems to be coming from the mechanical workings of the microwave, unplug it immediately and do not use it.
- Photo Credit http://ohmsappliance.com/images/GE%20Microwave-Countertop.jpg
How do I Remove a Burned Popcorn Smell from a Microwave?
Microwavable popcorn is quick to make, but it's easy to leave it in the microwave for a little too long and burn...