A mocha is a delicious mixture of espresso, chocolate and milk. At a cafe, it can be expensive, sometimes as much as $4-$5 per drink. Making a mocha at home using your espresso machine is a great way to save money, and the drink you make can be every bit as tasty as what you would buy at a cafe.
Things You'll Need
- Espresso machine
- 2 oz. water
- Coffee grounds for two shots of espresso (refer to the instruction manual)
- Carafe or shot glass
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder or chocolate syrup
- 6 to 8 oz. milk
- Container for steaming the milk
- Whipped cream (optional)
Making the Drink
Pour water into the espresso machine and pack the grounds into the basket. You'll want to refer to the instruction manual of your machine for specific instructions.
Put a carafe or shot glass under the spout and turn on the machine. A demitasse cup works as well---you just need something to catch the espresso.
Put cocoa powder or chocolate syrup in the bottom of a mug. You may want to use more if you like your drinks really sweet.
Heat the milk. If your espresso machine has a steam wand, use that, referring to your instruction manual. If not, heat the milk in the microwave or on the stove. If you want your milk frothed, beat it with an immersion blender or egg beater, or pour it into a blender when it reaches the desired temperature.
Pour the espresso into the mug, then add the milk and stir to incorporate everything.
Scoop the froth from the steamed milk onto the top, or top with whipped cream.
Tips & Warnings
- If you are diabetic, you can use sugar-free chocolate syrup. You can adjust the ratio of coffee to milk per your personal preference.
- Make sure you follow the directions for your espresso machine as set out by the manufacturer. You can injure yourself if you don't. Be careful not to scald yourself when working with hot milk, especially when using the blender. Keep it covered and follow the manufacturer's safety instructions.
How to make Starbucks Cafe Mocha's at home
Ever wondered how to make that Starbucks Espresso at home, well here you go.
How to Make an Iced Mocha
Iced mocha is a great drink but the cost can really add up if you're buying from a coffee house. If you...
Making A Mocha Espresso Drink
How to make a mocha, or mochaccino; learn more about making espresso coffee drinks in this free instructional video.
Making A Blended Mocha Espresso Drink
How to make a blended mocha; learn more about making espresso coffee drinks in this free instructional video.