If you want to renew an expired passport in India the correct term is "re-issue." An expired passport cannot be renewed and using that term will make an already tedious process virtually impossible. If you gather the correct documents before hand and allow yourself ample time before your travels, you will be able to get your expired passport in India easily. As long as your passport has not been expired for more than three years, you will be able to have it re-issued.
Things You'll Need
- Passport application
- Black or blue ink pen
- Proof of date of birth
- Old passport
- Citizenship document (if applicable)
- Repatriate expenditure document (if applicable)
- Identity certificate (Government/Public Sector/Statutory Body Employees Only)
- Photocopies of first and last four pages
- Photocopy of ECR/ECNR stamp or Proof of Matriculation or Degree
- Proof of address
- 3 color passport size photos
- Passport fee
- Authorization letter (if applicable)
Fill out your current name in the area provided in column 1, surname first. If you do not have a surname, leave this area blank and fill out only your given name in the space provided. There is enough room on the form for 75 letters in your name. Avoid using initials and print clearly. In column 2, fill out your prior name if any.
In the column 3 indicate your gender. If you are male, print "M." If you are female, print "F." If your gender is other (hermaphrodite or gender re-assigned from birth gender) print an "X" in the space provided.
Fill out the remainder of the form clearly, the rest of the columns are self explanatory. If a column (such as spouse's name) does not apply to you, write "not applicable" in the space provided. Do not write "N/A."
If you are filling out the form for someone who is illiterate, make sure that that their thumb print is clearly impressed in the correct boxes with the left hand thumb used for males and the right hand thumb used for females.
Gather the correct monies to cover the fees associated with re-issuing your passport. A 36-page passport valid for 10 years costs about RS/1000 in India. Check online or call a passport center to check for the most current fees.
Submit the form at any passport office, Speed Post center, District Passport Cell, or Passport Collection center. Make sure you have all the additional documents required with you at that time and required fees. If you are submitting for someone else, make sure you also have a signed authorization letter with you.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have changed residence during the course of the past year, make sure you have documentation proving your stay at each address.
- Forms that are illegible or filled out in a color of ink other than blue or black or completed in pencil will not be accepted. If you are a resident of Mumbai, visit the Ministry of External Affairs for specific instructions on how to apply for a fresh passport.
- Photo Credit Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India
How to Renew an Indian Passport in Canada
To renew your Indian passport, you'll have to go through steps similar to the ones you took when you got your passport...
How to Renew Passports in Texas
If you are a Texas resident and you need to renew your passport, you can do so by mail. The U.S. Department...
How to Renew an Indian Passport in the USA
Indians living in the United States as legal residents can renew their passports at any Indian consulate or the Indian Embassy in...
How to Cancel an Indian Passport
According to the Embassy of India in Washington D.C., once Indian passport holders acquire foreign citizenship, they must cancel their passports. Once...
US Passport Renewal Procedures
A valid U.S. passport is required for American citizens to travel internationally. This government-issued form of identification is only valid for 10...