Chicken and shrimp shish kebobs are a popular menu item at backyard barbeques, but they're easy enough to make for an everyday dinner. Although they're traditionally made on an outdoor grill, you can also make them on an indoor grill or with a broiler. Many different marinades work well for both chicken and shrimp, so there are plenty of choices for flavoring your kebabs. This recipe makes about 6 kebabs. Serve with soy, teriyaki or barbeque sauce for extra flavor.
Things You'll Need
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 24 large peeled deveined shrimp
- (6) 12-inch stainless steel skewers
- 1 cup marinade (see Tips)
Cut the chicken into 24 chunks (about 1-inch cubes).
Pour the marinade into a bowl or gallon-size plastic zipper bag. Add the shrimp and chicken and mix thoroughly to coat. Close the bag or cover the bowl and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
Thread the chicken and shrimp, alternating between the two, onto the skewers. Put four chicken chunks and four shrimp on each skewer. Leave a gap of about 1/4 inch between each piece.
Grill or broil (see Tips), turning frequently, until the shrimp is firm and pink and the chicken is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Tips & Warnings
- If broiling, put your oven rack on the second shelf from the top and broil at the highest heat with the oven door slightly open. Use medium-high heat on an indoor grill or outdoor gas grill. If you're using a charcoal grill, keep the lid open and the coals quite hot. You should hear a clear sizzle when you place the kabobs on the grill if it is hot enough. A citrus-flavored marinade works best for chicken and shrimp. You can make a simple marinade by combining 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup soy or teriyaki sauce, 2 cloves minced garlic and 1 tsp. each of salt, pepper and ginger.
- Raw chicken may carry salmonella and other pathogens. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after handling. Use long tongs to turn the kabobs while cooking to prevent burns.
How to Make Shish Kabob
Making delicious shish kabobs is easier than you may think. With a little prior preparation, you can grill up a fast, flavorful...
How to Make Shrimp Kabobs
Shrimp kabobs are an easy and delicious dinner or lunch, they can be served alone or on top a bed of rice,...
How to Make Beef Shish Kabob Marinade
Beef shish kabobs develop complex flavors after you marinate them for 1 hour or overnight in an Asian-inspired or red wine marinade.
How to Bake Chicken Kabobs
You don't need a grill to enjoy the summer-inspired flavor of a chicken kabob. Marinate the skewered chicken to give it lots...
How to Bake Kabobs
**Start to Finish**: 45 minutes, plus 2 hours marinating time **Servings**: 4 to 6 **Difficulty**: Easy Kabobs are all about variety --...
How to Broil Chicken Kabobs
Chicken kabobs make a good change of pace from the common baked chicken meal and are easily adapted to any number of...
What Are the Spices in Shish Kebab?
Kebabs made of meat, chicken or seafood taste great with many seasonings. Which ones you use depend on your personal taste and...
What Vegetables Go Best on Shish Kabobs?
Vegetable sections are ideal for separating meat portions on a skewer, but choose vegetables which are sturdy enough to keep their shape.
What Goes on Shrimp Shish-Kabobs?
Shish kabobs are made by skewering chunks of food on bamboo sticks or thin metal rods and grilling or broiling them until...