One of the widespread causes of accidents in the United States is electric shock. Although most shocks do not result directly in death by electrocution, they cause injuries. This article features some of the preventive measures you can take to protect yourself and your kids from getting an electric shock. Most new homes have GFCI (Ground Fault Current Interrupters) installed in them which trip the circuit when they detect a fault. Inspite of that human precautions are absolutely necessary to avoid electrical shocks in case these equipments fail.
The most common cause of a kid getting an electrical shock is uncovered electrical outlets. Please make sure that all low placed electrical outlets in your home are covered with electrical outlet covers. Your can get these at any local store or supermarket for $1 to $3.
Make sure that none of the electrical wires in your house are bare (without insulation). If you come across an electrical wire that is bare, please ask a knowlegeable person if that is connected to a live circuit.
When working with light fixtures, make sure that you are wearing rubber gloves and slippers at all times and standing on a dry wooden or fiberglass ladder.
To be adequately sure that you would be safe while working with the Electrical circuit, turn off the mains to the area where you will be working.
Any circuits with old wires should be properly inspected. Over a period of time the plastic or rubber covering hardens and tends to peel off. This may cause short-circuits.
Tips & Warnings
- Do not attempt to work with Electrical circuits without proper guidance. If you are not sure how to work with a particular wiring or wiring diagram, it is best to call a professional.
- Photo Credit http://www.diymedicalnetwork.com
How to Keep From Getting Shocked By Static Electricity
Static electricity is more prevalent in winter due to dry, cold air. Here is how to keep from getting shocked.
- How to Avoid Static Shock When You Open the Door
Why Do I Keep Getting Shocked in My House?
If you live in an old house and keep receiving shocks when you turn on the lights, check the outlets. If they...
Kitchen Safety Rules to Prevent Shocks
Electricity in the kitchen can be marvelously useful when kept contained and employed correctly. But electricity can quickly become dangerous or even...