Having an understanding of some of beading patterns is key to designing beautiful beaded jewelry. Even without experience it is possible for beginning beadworkers to design their own beaded jewelry. The advantages to doing so are that you will a piece that is unique and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you designed your beaded jewelry yourself.
Things You'll Need
- Colored pencils
- Graph paper for your particular stitch
- Bead loom (optional)
Decide what style of beadwork you are going to do. Looming is one of the easier types of beadwork to both create and design, and is a good choice for beginners.
Sketch out the design you want to create on your graph paper.
Select the beads you are going to use for your project.
Match the colors of your beads to your colored pencils as closely as possible so you can get a feel for what your finished piece of beaded jewelry will look like.
Color in the pattern you have designed on the graph paper using your colored pencils.
Use your design to create your piece of beaded jewelry.
Tips & Warnings
- Consider creating a piece using a bead loom, or peyote stitch if you are beginner as both are two of the easiest stitches to learn to design patterns for.
- If you don't have colored pencils, consider purchasing a large stock of them in a variety of different colors. This will help you get a better feel for how your finished piece will look because it will be easier to match your pencil colors to your bead colors because you will have more options.
- Start off with a simple design to begin with then as you continue to design your own beaded jewelry, add more complicated ideas.
- Look at patterns online and in books to get ideas for your own designs. This will also help you to see the best ways to use the graph paper to design your pieces of beaded jewelry.
- Photo Credit Regina Paul
How to Make a Bead Curtain Designs
Crystal, wooden or plastic beads can make beautiful curtain designs. You can make your bead curtain thick and full enough to cover...
How to Make Paper Beads Patterns
Learning how to make paper bead patterns is all about knowing your rectangle and triangle shapes. Almost every kind of paper bead...
Instructions for How to Make Rolled Paper Bead Jewelry
Purchasing beads for use in your jewelry designs can, at times, be limiting. By learning new methods for creating your own beads,...
Free Beaded Jewelry Pattern Ideas
You don't have to spend money on jewelry patterns when you can find free patterns and project ideas. Use your resourceful side...
Bead Design: Jewelry Making Basics
Learn how to add bead designs to a beaded jewelry project in this free online arts and crafts video on jewelry making...