Perfect roast beef every time! Roast beef recipes abound, but this one for rare roast beef is, hands down, the best I've ever seen. It is from the early 1900's and was given to me by my very British mother-in-law.
Things You'll Need
- A good cut of beef
- Salt, pepper, onion powder
- A sharp carving knife
- A roasting pan
- A well calibrated oven
- A meat thermometer
Select a Good Cut of Beef.
1) You can never go wrong with beef tenderloin.
2) If you are budget conscious, a rump roast is a good choice. The texture is a more course, making it a bit chewier, but the flavor is excellent. A rump roast is about half the cost of a tenderloin.
2) Don't hesitate to ask the butcher for help in selecting a nice tender cut.
Cooking the Roast
1) Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F
2) Rinse the beef and pat dry
3) Sprinkle salt, pepper and onion powder on all sides of the beef
4) Place the beef in a roasting pan, and put it in the oven, uncovered
Timing is Everything
1) Cook the roast for 15 minutes at 500 degrees F
2) After 15 minutes, turn the temperature down to 375 degrees F
3) Continue cooking for 16 minutes per pound (ex: If your roast is 3 pounds, that would be 48 minutes)
4) Remove from oven, and place pan on a cooling rack
5) Let rest for 15 minutes
6) Carve into thin slices
Tips & Warnings
- As a safety precaution, insert a meat thermometer into the roast, prior to cooking. Never eat beef that has not reached a minimum internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
- Thoroughly cleanse and disinfect anything that comes into contact with raw beef.
- Photo Credit Print Shop 21
How to Cook Beef Roast in a Crock-Pot
Most people like beef roast, especially when it is tender and juicy. It is simple and easy to cook a beef roast...
How to Cook a 5-Lb. Round Roast
The round roast is a large boneless cut of meat, which benefits from a long, slow roasting. Cook the roast in an...
How to Cook Corned Beef Brisket in a Crock-Pot
Corned beef brisket is a combination of brisket and rump or brisket, rump and round cuts of beef. These cuts are not...
How to Cook Roast Beef in a Pressure Cooker
If you are short on time but want a hearty, home-cooked beef pot roast, then pressure cooking is the answer. Pressure cooking...
How to Bake a Roast in the Oven With Potatoes and Carrots
Baking a roast in the oven will fill your home with an enjoyable aroma. Roasts are a preferred meal option because they...
How to Cook a Beef Crown Roast
A crown roast consists of a side of ribs arranged and baked in a circle for the sake of presentation. While crown...
How to Cook a 10 LB Beef Tenderloin Roast
A beef tenderloin is also called a whole fillet. It can be cut down to a fillet mignon, which is triangle-shaped and...
How to Cook Tender Roast Beef
Roast beef is a hands off meal because it takes little preparation and needs to cook for hours to be tender. The...
How Long Does it Take to Cook Beef?
Size and shape, presence of a bone or amount of fat have a direct effect on how long a cut of beef...
How Long to Cook a 3 Pound Roast
A roast is a cut of meat from any one of a variety of animals. Beef, pork and lamb are the most...