Making camper slip covers is a breeze for even beginning sewers. They are easy to slide on and off the cushions, and by choosing the correct fabric, they'll be machine washable and dryer safe. The inside of your camper will always look fresh and clean, and your friends will be begging you to teach them how to sew camper cushions.
Things You'll Need
- Basic sewing skills
- A wash and wear fabric of your choosing
- Sewing machine
- Sewing pins
- Ruler and/or yardstick
- Sharp Scissors
- A clean flat surface to do all of your cutting on
First measure cushions by length, width, and height.
Add 3/4" all around for seam allowance. Roughly sketch a picture of each cushion on a piece of computer paper. Take this to the fabric store with you.
Choose your fabric. You probably don't want to be taking these to the cleaners so pick out a machine washable, dryer safe fabric. Pay attention to potential shrinkage. If you decide on 100% cotton, buy a little extra fabric to allow for shrinkage and be sure to pre shrink before cutting the fabric.
Take your fabric to the cutting table and ask the clerk to help you estimate the yardage. You may be capable of doing this yourself, but it's always good to get a second opinion. Get an opinion on the best type of zipper. This will depend on your fabric and/or how long a zipper you need. Make sure you purchase all your notions.
- At home, lay out the fabric and measure using a yardstick if needed. Mark your cutout lines on wrong side of fabric using tailors chalk. You're probably going to mainly be sewing squares and rectangles. Before you begin sewing, take a look at the construction of the cushions for which you are making these slip covers. These will be a very helpful guideline.
To construct the zipper panel, cut the fabric in half. See illustration.
Tips & Warnings
- To play it safe, sew your first slip cover with a basting stitch and try it on the cushion. If it doesn't fit the way you'd like, it's easy to rip out and make any adjustments.
- When you cut out the zipper panel, remember you'll need to take into consideration the seam allowance in the zipper.
How to Sew Camper Slipcovers
Give the seat cushions in your camper a fresh, clean look with new slipcovers. Camper cushions generally are simple rectangles, which means...
How to Make Camper Cushions
Whether you've just purchased a used camper that needs fixing up, or your own camper needs sprucing up, replacing the camper's cushions...
How to Make a Pattern for Slipcovers
Slipcovers are removable fabric covers for upholstered chairs. They allow you to quickly and inexpensively alter the appearance of a chair without...
How to Recover RV Cushions
You can recover damaged RV cushions with upholstery fabric. Most cushions will require about one yard of fabric. Get enough fabric by...
How to Make a Sofa Bed for a Camper
Trying to find furniture to fit your camper may cause you to decide that making your own would better suit your needs....