Protecting your investment in the home not only applies to the interior but the exterior yard and landscaping. Harsh weather conditions can take a toll on the driveway, whether it is poured concrete or asphalt. Applying driveway sealer on a proper maintenance schedule will go a long way in protecting one of the first things people see when visiting your home.
Things You'll Need
- Two days of sunny, dry weather
- Garden hose
- Spray nozzle for the hose
- Biodegradable degreaser
- Hard bristle scrub brush with long handle
- Driveway sealer for your type of driveway (concrete or asphalt)
- Application brush for sealer
Watch the weather forecast and plan this project when you will have two days of dry, sunny weather. You will need the dry conditions to help the driveway dry off after it is cleaned, and then to allow the sealer to cure properly.
Attach the garden hose to the outdoor spigot and the spray nozzle to the end of the hose. Thoroughly wash down the driveway of all debris, sticks, sand and gravel. Use the long-handled scrub brush to remove any large debris.
Apply a biodegradable degreaser to the driveway and thoroughly work the entire surface of the driveway with the scrub brush. Keep the surface wet and flush the clean surface with plenty of water. Allow the surface to completely dry overnight and into the next morning. Be sure to keep all traffic from the clean surface or you may have to clean it again.
Follow the directions from the manufacturer for the correct sealer on the surface of concrete or asphalt. Allow the driveway to dry from any morning moisture and begin on the uphill slope side of the drive, working your way downhill. Apply even coats of the sealer and allow it to dry before applying a second coat. You should be able to give the surface two coats on a dry, sunny day.
Tips & Warnings
- Depending on the weather conditions, some sealers may have to be applied once every year to fully protect the driveway surface. You may want to erect a simple barrier to keep the traffic from pulling into your driveway while it is drying or curing during the sealer process. Many big box stores sell plastic tape for just this purpose.
- If you use a high-pressure power washer on the driveway, be careful not to dislodge more material that is needed for a good cleaning. Some pressure washers can deliver 10,000 PSI and may destroy the hard surface of a driveway
How to Seal a Driveway
How to Seal a Driveway. A driveway is tormented by every weather condition as well as being saturated by oil spills from...
How to Apply Concrete Driveway Sealer
Concrete driveway sealer is used to preserve and protect a concrete driveway. Driveways are exposed to all kinds of harsh elements especially...
How to Calculate Driveway Sealer
Driveway sealer renews the dark color of an asphalt driveway, smooths the surface and covers tiny cracks or old patches. You can...
How to Tell When the Sealcoat on Your Driveway Is Dry
Asphalt driveways suffer through varying temperatures and weather patterns throughout the year. Couple this with the heavy car loads most driveways endure...