If you are tired of that outdated concrete porch and walkway here is a way to make it beautiful. With a few easy steps a little paint can transform the front of your house.
Things You'll Need
- exterior porch paint
- roller and roller pad
Choose a sunny day to paint. First clean the concrete free of debris and dirt. Sweep it thoroughly. If there is a lot of dirt or spilled substances you may want to hose it down a few days before. If there are big cracks that you want to fill there is a caulk that is especially made for filling concrete. It is called Mortar or Concrete caulk. This will have a gritty feel to it. Do this step before painting.
Ready to paint. Start with using the paintbrush and just trimming out the edges where the roller cannot get. Then just pour some paint on the concrete and start rolling. Keep in mind this paint does dry quickly. make sure that the first coat is fairly thick. This type of paint is an oil based so it does roll on smooth but is hard to get off hands and clothes.
Repeat a second coat and let dry. When choosing a color, a darker shade will hide dirt much easier. Repeat this every year or two to keep a vibrant color.
Tips & Warnings
- Drive around your neighborhood and look at the different colored porch's, this will give you an idea.
- Wear gloves
- Throw away brush and roller or soak in paint thinner
- The foundation can also be painted and this looks fabulous
- There are a few different types of paint and the price is around $25.00,this is more expensive but you use less.
- Add some sand to the paint to add a texture so it is not so slippery
- When wet can be very slippery, add some sand to the paint to reduce this hazard
How to Make Your Ugly Painted Concrete Porch Look Good
When fresh, painted concrete looks clean and appealing. However, wear and tear, foot traffic, and weather can combine to make a painted...
How to Remove Paint From a Cement Porch
Old paint on a cement porch can be difficult to remove. This is especially true if the original painters knew what they...
How to Paint Your Concrete Patio
Painting your concrete patio can literally change the entire look and feel of your outdoor area. Painting the patio adds a layer...
How to Paint a Cement Porch
Cement porches can last for many years so why not make yours more attractive. It's simple enough to do and just takes...