This is how I make homemade custard. It can be used in many different ways, such as plain pudding, in banana pudding, coconut custard pie, or in lemon pie. And of course homemade tastes so much better than store bought boxed pudding or custard.
Things You'll Need
- 1/3 c. Argo starch
- 1 12 oz. can Pet Evaporated Milk
- 1 can water
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 heaping T. butter
In a medium sized saucepan mix together the starch, milk, water, sugar and egg yolks.
On medium heat, bring mixture to a low boil stirring constantly. As soon as it starts bubbling, stir in the butter. Set timer for 5 minutes. Continue boiling mixture, stirring constantly until thickened.
At the end of 5 minutes, add vanilla extract. Take off of burner.
CAN BE USED IN:
- Banana Pudding (no changes needed)
- Lemon Custard Pie (add 1/2 cup starch instead of 1/3 cup) Also add the juice of 3 lemons or for a stronger lemon taste, use lemon extract instead of vanilla with no other changes to the recipe.
- Coconut Custard Pie (no changes needed, except add flaked coconut when you add the vanilla)
Tips & Warnings
- STIRRING CONSTANTLY IS VERY IMPORTANT, AS IT WILL STICK OR GET LUMPY.
- VERY HOT...USE CAUTION
- Photo Credit personal photo
How to Make English Custard
English custard, sometimes referred to as a British sauce, is a favorite treat throughout Europe. The rich custard can be served alone...
How to Make Banana Pudding Without a Double Boiler
Instant pudding mix cannot match the flavor of real banana pudding made with a homemade custard in a double boiler on the...
Adding Custard For Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
How to add egg custard into ice cream machine for making homemade vanilla ice cream; get expert tips on making homemade dessert...