Michigan shelters kill over 200,000 healthy pets every year. The best way to reduce the number of pets entering shelters is to spay or neuter your pets. Neutering male dogs and cats is good for behavior and health. Neutered animals do not roam, spray and are less aggressive. Neutering prevents testicular cancer. Spaying female dogs and cats eliminates the annoyance of the heat cycle, prevents pyometria, a deadly infection of the uterus and reduces the threat of mammary gland cancer. There are low cost spay neuter clinics and programs located throughout Michigan to make it easier to care for your pets.
Call the Spay Michigan Hotline. A collaboration between SPAY USA and All About Animal Rescue, the SPAY Michigan telephone hotline provides callers with information about nearby spay and neuter programs. Telephone 1-888-577-2943 to find your local clinic.
Check out All About Animals website. In addition to operating metro Detroit's only low cost, high volume spay neuter clinic, All About Animals has gathered contact information for all low cost spay neuter programs throughout Michigan.
Call you local humane society or animal shelter. Animal shelters and humane societies sometimes offer vouchers to reduce the price of spay and neuter surgeries charged by veterinarians.
Shop around for the best price. Prices for spay and neuter surgeries vary wildly among vet practices. Call around for the best price in your area.
Tips & Warnings
- Old wives tales - your female dog or cat will be friendlier if they have a litter. This is not true; having a litter does not improve a female dog or cat's behavior.
- It is best to wait until a female dog or cat has gone though their first period of "heat" before spaying. This is not true. Early (less than six months of age) has been shown to prevent cancers.
- Male dogs or cats will become lazy if they are neutered. Neutered dogs and cats enjoy playing and exercise in the same way they did before surgery.
- Your children need to witness the miracle of life. Teaching children about birth can be done without adding to the overpopulation crisis.
Does Spaying Cost More Than Neutering?
Spaying and neutering are the only ways to insure that pets do not produce unwanted litters of puppies or kittens. Most shelters...
- Grants for Spaying Or Neutering Cats
Cat Vaccination Requirements in Michigan
Michigan cat vaccination laws vary depending on the city, but most cities require a current rabies vaccine for all cats. While vaccines...