Anyone who has ever tried to quit drinking coffee or caffeinated tea or soda knows about the headaches and fatigue that can come if you try to quit abruptly. But backing off gradually can have the opposite effect, leaving you feeling stronger and even more alert.
Things You'll Need
- A caffeine journal - to honestly assess your starting point.
- A decaffeinated substitute for the caffeine you're giving up.
Spend a week writing down all sources and amounts of caffeine you consume. Don't forget chocolate.
Restructure your current caffeine intake into predictable intervals, without reducing the amount of caffeine consumed in a day.
Strategically reduce the about of caffeine at each interval. For three days, have 75% of your normal caffeine beverage. Replace the other 25% with a decaffeinated alternative -- water if possible. If chocolate is part of your ritual replace with non-chocolate candy or trade a regular size candy bar for a "fun-sized" -- or a higher quality truffle.
If you've been drinking coffee, black tea usually has about 3/4 the amount of caffeine. If you like tea, an even swap would be good at this point.
*Note decaf coffee/black or green tea all still contain caffeine. These substitutes are fine at this stage, but ultimately you'll want to give those up too.
Once the three days have passed, reduce to 50% caffeine. (on the tea method this would mean switching from black to green tea.) Do this for a day or two.
Give up all caffeine for 1 day, then consume at step 4 levels. Repeat giving up for 2 days, then 4 days. By now you should be able to stay off caffeine with little or no withdrawal symptoms.
Tips & Warnings
- Don't you feel better?
- Be sure to get plenty of sleep and exercise. This will help keep your energy up and reduce the risk of a relapse.
How to Stop Drinking Caffeine
For many people, the day doesn't begin without a good cup of coffee. Others rely on a caffeinated soda at lunch to...
How to Wean Soda Out of a Diet
About half of Americans drink soda or other sugary beverages at least once a day, according to a 2011 article on the...
How to Quit Coffee Cold Turkey
While coffee has been shown to have some health benefits such as increasing metabolism, the acidic drink can be hard on your...
How to Detox From Sugar & Caffeine
Caffeine and sugar are two items your body becomes addicted to, and eliminating these from your diet can lead to nasty withdrawal...
How to Make a Caffeine Withdrawal Headache Go Away
People all over the world are addicted to coffee. People drink coffee for many reasons, including the flavor, the caffeine and entrepreneurial...
How to Gradually Reduce Dose of Hydrochlorothiazide
Doctors commonly use hydrochlorothiazide as a diuretic to help manage hypertension. But the drug can have side effects such as abdominal cramping,...
How to Relieve Fatigue From Adderall Withdrawal
Adderall is stimulant that is used primarily to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder as well as Attention Deficit Disorder. It contains amphetamine...
How to Detox From Coffee
For some people, coffee can become an addictive daily habit that is difficult to quit. If you find yourself unable to drink...
The Best Way to Naturally Wean Off Sugar
Eliminating sugar from your diet can promote weight loss, make room for more nutritious foods and lessen your risk of high blood...
Suggestions for Weaning Off Lexapro
Escitalopram, commonly known by its trade names Lexapro or Cipralex, is an SSRI-class antidepressant. SSRI stands for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and...