Whether you have been burning the midnight oil and need the occasional midafternoon nap or you simply cannot sleep without total darkness, wearing an eye mask can help you obtain a deep, satisfying rest that will rejuvenate you for the day to come. However, wearing an eye mask properly can be tough if you have never done it or if you feel uncomfortable wearing a strap around your face. Here are some steps to help you wear your eye mask properly to achieve maximum rest.
Things You'll Need
- Eye mask with an elastic strap
- Comfortable pillow
When you put an eye mask on for the first time, it can seem a little uncomfortable. Before you know it, your eyes are entirely covered and the room has gone dark! Putting the eye mask on properly may help to relieve some initial frustration. In order to put the eye mask on properly, hold it as if it were a pair of goggles. Stabilizing the cloth part against your forehead, gently pull the elastic strap over your head. The elastic strap should fit comfortably at the nape of your neck.
Close your eyes and pull the cloth part of the eye mask gently downward until it feels comfortable over your eyes and nose. Pulling the mask downward will help to keep your eyelashes from being bent uncomfortably upward.
With the mask firmly in place, open your eyes just a bit. You'll want to check to see if light is coming through any open areas of the eye mask. If possible and if needed, adjust the eye mask to compensate for any open areas.
If the eye mask is firmly in place, you should be able to toss and turn to your heart's content without losing your eye mask in your sleep.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have a small or large head, look for an eye mask with an adjustable strap that you can modify to suit your head
- A dark eye mask will help to keep light out
- Always double check your face for eye mask impressions in the morning before heading off for the day
- Eye masks can be habit forming, so make sure you take one with you anytime you sleep away from home to ensure that you'll get a good night's rest wherever you are.
- Wearing an eye mask that's too tight can cut off circulation and cause deep impressions in your facial tissue
- Photo Credit Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
Benefits of a Sleep Mask
Achieving a good night’s sleep can reap many health and mental benefits. Outside light or electronic indoor lights may make it more...
Why Do Horses Wear Blindfolds?
Horses are very rarely blindfolded. In the case of a life-threatening emergency such as a barn fire or if she is in...
How to Wear a Surgical Mask
Wearing a surgical mask is a necessity for many doctors, including dentists and surgeons. A surgical mask works in two ways—keeping the...
Why Do Racing Horses Wear Masks?
Characteristics of horses vary between breeds, making certain breeds better suited to specific activities than other breeds. Race horses, in particular, are...
Eye Mask for Sleeping: Pros & Cons
Eye masks are effective for blocking out light. They are also lightweight and portable which make them easy to travel with. Eye...
- Remedy for Bags Under Eyes
How to Wear a Snorkel Mask With Glasses
Snorkeling is a water activity involving wearing masks that block the air intake of the nose, and a mouth guard fitted to...