Electrical fires are the cause for many deaths throughout the year.
Electrical fires can start from any electrical source in your home. Lamps, cords, light fixtures, and any other electrical system that's improperly cared for.
Look around your house or apartment for any loose or frayed cords on your electrical devices, such as on radios, dvd players, lamps, tv's, kitchen appliances, etc.
Replace them if they are in any type of poor condition.
Don not run extension cords across doorways & do not run them underneath your carpets.
Instead, think about having additional outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to run wires or use extension cords.
Don't overload outlets. To avoid over loading, only plug one high wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
If the outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit right away and have them checked by an electrician.
Keep lamps away from things that can burn and only use bulbs that match the lamp's recommended wattage. You can find the recommended wattage on the tag on the lamp.
Tips & Warnings
- Animals like squirrels can chew threw wires. Be sure to check all wires for safety.
- If you have children, use plastic safety covers on all unused wall sockets and extension-cord receptacles.
How to Use a Generator During a Power Outage
A portable home generator can be a big help when the electricity goes out. Most portable generators are not large enough to...
How to Use Extension Cords Safely
Everybody's got at least one and some of us have a garage full of them-and probably none of us think of them...
How to Be Safe Around Electricity
While we all depend on electricity in many aspects of our lives, we can often take it and its safety for granted....