Read the directions for use and familiarize yourself with the safety precautions before using borax inside your home.
Using borax is a effective and popular method of killing fleas because borax is odorless, readily available in powdered form and easy to use. As a natural derivative of boron, borax is far less toxic than many alternative flea control remedies. When fleas come into contact with the powder, they become extremely dehydrated as the sharp structure of borax shreds their insides.
Things You'll Need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Stiff brush
Vacuum the carpets inside your home thoroughly. Sprinkle the borax, in generous amount, in areas of flea infestation. Work the powder deep into the carpets with a stiff brush.
Leave the borax on your carpets for up to two days, if possible; leave it for a minimum of six hours. Keep children and pets away from the treated areas during this time.
Vacuum the carpet thoroughly. Remove the vacuum bags, seal them and dispose of them in an outdoor trash can to keep all larvae and eggs well away from your home.
Tips & Warnings
- Borax does not get rid of flea eggs, meaning re-infestation is likely. Therefore, you should apply borax a second time, a few weeks after the initial application.
- Store borax away from moisture, which reduces its effectiveness.
- Pregnant women should not come into contact with borax.
- Use borax with extreme care in households with babies and young children. Ingesting large quantities of borax may lead to skin allergies and other health complications.
- Don't use borax around cats, as it is known to cause serious breathing problems for them.
- Never apply borax directly onto a dog's body to get rid of fleas. To get rid of fleas from your pet's coat, ask your vet for a recommendation.
- Don't use borax near household plants, as it can cause toxicity.
- Photo Credit Baloncici/iStock/Getty Images
Borax to Get Rid of Fleas
Borax works as a flea killer by drying out the fleas, larvae and eggs. Does this Spark an idea? Other People Are...
How to Use Borax to Treat Fleas in Your Yard
How to Use Borax to Treat Fleas in Your Yard. Having fleas around your yard not only provides an inconvenience, ... How...
How to Use Borax for Fleas in the House
Using borax is one way to kill any flea infestation in your house. Does this Spark an idea? Other People Are Reading....
Borax & Salt Recipe to Kill Fleas
Fleas are known for plaguing dogs and cats, causing serious itching and skin irritation. If the fleas are left unchecked in a...
What Is the Ratio of Borax & Salt for Killing Fleas?
Once one or two fleas find their way into your home on the back of the family pet or by hitching a...
How to Use Borax for Killing Fleas on Hardwood Floors
Fleas are pesky parasites that can quickly infest homes if not treated right away. They feed on the blood of their host,...
How to Use Borax on Laminate to Get Rid of Fleas
How to Use Borax on Laminate to Get Rid of Fleas. Getting rid of fleas can be challenging. ... Treat pets immediately...