The Amazing Race is a popular American television show in which pairs race other pairs across the world, completing tasks and challenges along the way that help them explore the cultures they are visiting. An Amazing Race themed birthday party is an excellent idea for parents who are looking for an exciting, activity-filled event to keep the guests busy and entertained throughout the course of the party. Plus, many kids watch and enjoy the show with family members because of its emphasis on education, culture and teamwork.
Things You'll Need
- plenty of lead time
Purchase or design your own invitations based on the design of the clue cards on the Amazing Race show. These yellow and black cards should highlight the term Amazing Race on the front and can also include your child's name. On the inside of the invitation write information about the party and a challenge to get things started. For example, include a colored dot on the invitation, with only two guests receiving each color on their invitation. Challenge the guests to call through the guest list and determine who their teammate is. This is done by finding the person with the matching color and then ask him to come dressed in the color that was on his invitation.
Plan out the tasks, challenges and locations that you wanted included in your Amazing Race party. If the children at the party will be very young, it may be best to keep the challenges inside your own home, encouraging kids to race to the backyard for a game of horseshoes before running into the basement to search for hidden Easter eggs. However, for older kids, ask some parents to chaperone the children with you as each team journeys throughout your hometown and learns about town history on the way. Include five locations or less for younger children and ten locations or more for older children.
Create fun challenges and tasks that the children at the party will always remember. If your child likes crafts, consider having children complete a craft activity at one location before moving on to the next. If your child is interested in puzzles, have small jigsaw puzzles available for kids to complete at one station. Incorporate activities that are age appropriate and activities that promote learning, culture and historical appreciation, just as the game show does.
Host a small meal at the end of the race and hand out prizes and awards to all the teams that complete the race. It may make sense to have trophies for the winners of the race, but if you don't want to get to competitive with your party, consider giving each guest the same prize as they finish the race. These will be the party favors. You can also use this time after the race to open presents if it was a birthday party.
Tips & Warnings
- Get it all on video!! This makes a great end to the party, and you can get the kids to shoot their own team inros at the beginning of the party while you are waiting for all guests to arrive.
- As a variation, assign points to each ordinal place, then the winner can be decided by total points. This makes finishing the last leg in first place less important.
- Pre-packaged planning kits, like the "Amazing Chase" on eBay, can save a lot of time in planning, but there is still plenty of preparation to do. Give yourself enough time to plan the best theme party there is!
- Be aware of the abilities of your kids and the dangers of your environment. Traffic, water, strangers, terrain and allergies can all pose hazards. Carry a first aid kit, cell phone and the contact numbers of all parents if you are moving from site to site.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
Amazing Race Theme Party Ideas
"The Amazing Race" is a TV shows that sends teams around the world to complete a series of challenges and tasks. The...
How to Play the Mirror Game
The mirror game is a warm-up exercise that helps improvisational actors develop their movement and awareness. Some groups also use it as...
How to Make Amazing Race Birthday Invitations
Creating "Amazing Race" birthday invitations is a way to make a themed party or just to recognize the birthday person's love of...
How to Plan an Amazing Race Party for Adults
“The Amazing Race,” a reality television game show airing on CBS, sends teams to exotic locations around the globe to complete tasks...