You may let your window air-conditioner unit just run and run, keeping you cool, but you add to its work burden when you don’t regularly clean its air filter. If you wait too long to clean the filter, the efficiency of the unit goes down dramatically and you are breathing air that has passed through dust. Clean the filters of units that run with fans at least monthly.
Things You'll Need
- Dishwashing liquid
Turn off the window unit. Vacuum the front cover before removing it if it is dusty and grimy.
Remove the cover from the front of the unit, unscrewing its screws or pressing its push tabs to get to the filter. Note any tabs or cutouts to so you can correctly align the cleaned filter. Grasp the filter by its center and pull it outward.
Clean the filter at the same time as the front of the unit, in a sink if these items are not too big, or outside otherwise. Place the cover and filter in a pan of warm water containing dishwashing liquid or just hose off with a fine firm mist.
Shake the filter gently to remove excess water. Let the cover and filter dry completely and replace.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have more than one unit, do them all at the same time so you don't forget how long it has been on each one.
- If you remove the unit during winter months, spray off the outside to remove summer dust and grime before storing it.
- If you hear a whistle coming from a unit, it has been too long since cleaned. So take care of this promptly.
- Keep the controls in off position during cleaning. Never unplug the unit from the outlet before turning off the switch.
- Most units need to be off for at least five minutes before turning them on again.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Clean a Fedders Air Conditioner Filter
Fedders air conditioner units install directly into a window or wall of the home. If you notice that the unit is not...
How to Properly Clean Your Window Air Conditioner
If your window unit air conditioner isn't working as well as it used to, it may just need a deep cleaning. Air...
How to Change the Filter on a Window Air Conditioner
Many people choose to install window air conditioners to help cool rooms. Just like a central air conditioning system, window units use...
How to Care for Frigidaire Window Unit Air Conditioners
Electrolux Frigidaire window unit air conditioners, also known as “window-mounted” air conditioners, require regular care and maintenance after installation to not only...
How to Replace R12 Freon
When replacing R12 freon with another, you will need to dispose of any R12 remaining in your AC system. This will require...
How to Clean a GE Air Conditioner
Cleaning your air conditioner can improve its efficiency and save you money on your electricity bill. Air conditioners cool a room by...
How to Clean an Old Air Conditioner
Older air conditioners tend to be less energy efficient than their modern counterparts. Dirty filters, evaporator coils and condenser coils can further...