If your dog has antifreezing poisoning, you might notice warning symptoms such as throwing up, reduced appetite and feebleness. Antifreeze is dangerous to dogs due to an organic compound called ethylene glycol. If you have any reason to think your pooch has been poisoned by antifreeze, notify your veterinarian immediately. Ethylene glycol toxicity can be deadly to canines.
Effects of Ethylene Glycol
Ethylene glycol is extremely toxic to canines. It's found in the majority of antifreeze options available on the market. It's hazardous to dogs because it causes substantial damage to the kidneys and liver. This damage happens almost instantly after ingestion.
Antifreeze in very minimal amounts can be highly detrimental to dogs. Single tablespoons can lead to extreme cases of acute kidney failure If your dog is mid-sized, he could experience deadly consequences from under three ounces of it.
Signs of Poisoning
Telltale signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs include depression, panting, vomiting, increased urination, increased thirst, delirium, lack of coordination, head tremors, quivering of the muscles, decreased appetite, fast heartbeat, fast eyeball motions, extremely reduced body temperature, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, kidney swelling, mouth sores, fainting and seizures. Some dogs who have antifreeze poisoning even go into comas. Death is also a possibility.
Some of these symptoms show up soon after consumption of the poison. Throwing up, nausea and head tremors are a few examples of beginning-stage symptoms. Other indications appear anywhere between 36 and 72 hours post-consumption. Examples of later symptoms are mouth sores, drooling and extremely decreased body temperature.
Household Access to Antifreeze
Antifreeze is frequently found in the home. If your vehicle's radiator leaks antifreeze and it drops onto the ground of your garage, your pooch could lick it and consume it. Dogs are drawn to consuming antifreeze due to its sweet taste and enticing smell. Some dogs also experience antifreeze exposure in bathrooms. If you prepare your pipes for the wintertime by inserting antifreeze into your toilet, your curious dog could potentially ingest it that way. Ethylene glycol is frequently seen in hydraulic brake fluids and engine coolants, as well.
Urgent Veterinary Care
If you use antifreeze in and around your home for any reason and see your pet licking something that could be it, don't hesitate for a second to get him urgent veterinary care. If you even locate possible "proof" that your dog might have ingested antifreeze -- think bite marks on a container of antifreeze -- do the same. The sooner you get your dog veterinary attention, the better chances he has of surviving and recovering. Veterinarians often treat antifreeze poisoning in pets with vomiting induction, activated charcoal administration and gastric lavage.
- Pet Poison Helpline: Antifreeze
- PetMD: Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs
- PetMD: Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs
- Pet360: Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine: Antifreeze Poisoning
- PetEducation.com: Antifreeze Poisoning - Diagnosis, Treatment & Prevention
- The Humane Society of the United States: Antifreeze Is a Sweet but Deadly Poison for Pets
- The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats; Amy D. Shojai
- Guardian Veterinary Centre: Ethylene Glycol (Antifreeze) Toxicity
- Photo Credit Design Pics/Design Pics/Getty Images
- Symptoms of Poisoning in Humans
- The Effects of Breathing Antifreeze Fumes
- The Effects of a Chlorine Pool on Dogs
- Symptoms of Propylene Glycol Poisoning on a Dog
How to Induce Vomiting In Your Dog
Learn how to induce vomiting in your dog in case of an emergency. Get tips from a veterinarian in this free pet...