Boba, or bubble, tea became popular in Taiwan in the 1980s as an after-school treat. As its popularity grew, it has spread throughout Asian and can even be found in stands in the United States. One popular variation on the tea is to make it into a smoothie.
Things You'll Need
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 3/4 cup yogurt (vanilla or your choice)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup boba pearls (found in Asian markets)
- Boba straws (found in Asian markets or online)
- 1/4 cup sugar
Boil 5 cups of water for every half-cup of boba pearls you want to use. Dump the boba in the boiling water and stir until they become plump and float to the top.
Cover the pot and simmer for five minutes
Drain the boba pearls. Mix the sugar and a half-cup of water and add the boba pearls.
Place the strawberries, pineapple, yogurt, milk and honey in a blender and puree until smooth.
Pour the smoothie into glasses and pour the boba on top. Get out your wide boba drinking straws and drink away.
Tips & Warnings
- Using frozen strawberries and pineapple makes a thicker smoothie.
- Photo Credit Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
How Many Calories Are in a Banana Smoothie?
Every banana smoothie has just one ingredient in common – the fruit – so there’s plenty of room for variation. That means...
How to Make Boba Milk Tea
Boba milk tea, also known as bubble tea or pearl tea, is a novelty beverage created in Taiwan in the early 1980s....