Driving on the highway can in some ways, be easier than driving on main roads, because there are no obstacles to stop you, such as traffic lights, stop signs, and pedestrian crosswalks. It can also be very dangerous if you do not follow the rules of the highway, safely. Most highways have three lanes, the right lane, middle lane and left lane. They also have signs in which tell you where you are going and also have signs that tell you the speed limit.
Things You'll Need
If you are a new driver, it is always best to use the right lane as the cars on this lane go at or below the speed limit. This lane also is used to make it easier to get off the highway and or reach the breakdown or shoulder lane quicker.
The middle lane is used mostly for longer trips and for people who go at moderate speed. Most people use this lane as the lane to be on the highways.
The left lane is also used for longer trips and for people who seem to go above the speed limit on highways. They usually are not going to get off anytime soon, and usually do not need to change lanes.
The shoulder lane or breakdown lane, is the lane used for emergency purposes. It can also be used if your car breaks down or you need medical assistance. It is usually located on the right side, near the right lane.
Tips & Warnings
- Always follow the speed limit and try to stay within that speed limit.
- Never use the left lane if you know that you will get off soon or you will need to make frequent stops.
- Always use the right or middle lane if you are a new driver, until you learn how to control your car well.
- Following all the signs of the road and only using the breakdown lane in an emergency, can help you drive safely on the highway and avoid accidents.
- Never do anything that will distract you from driving, such as using your cell phone without a headpiece, putting on makeup, shaving your mustache or beard, or digging through your purse or dashboard for things.
- Always try to do these things before you get on the road whether a street or highway, because it can cause accidents.
- Never bring your dog in with you unless probably restrained. They could accidentally jump out the window or jump on the front seat and startle you causing you to get distracted.
How to Drive Without Fear
Sure it's scary out there on the highway. There are cars and big trucks zipping in and out. Drivers get distracted by...
Should I Drive the Alaska Highway or the Cassiar?
Both the Alaska Highway and the Cassiar Highway (aka Stewart-Cassiar Highway or British Columbia 37) traverse far northwestern parts of North America...