How to Change Your Birth Date on Your Passport

Correct your birth date on your passport if it is printed incorrectly.
Correct your birth date on your passport if it is printed incorrectly. (Image: KSK Imaging/iStock/Getty Images)

The only reason you are permitted to change the date of birth on your passport is if it is incorrect as a result of a printing error. The State Department does not charge for replacing passports with a printing error.


Download a copy of Form DS-5504 from the State Department website or complete the form online, ticking the box indicating that your date of birth was printed incorrectly. Obtain one color passport photograph, ensuring that the image meets the guidelines. You’ll also need a certified birth certificate to confirm your correct date of birth. Mail everything to the State Department at the address given on Form DS-5504, being sure to enclose the expedite fee if you want to use this speedier delivery service.


If you request a corrected passport within one year of the inaccurate passport being issued, your new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date the new, accurate passport is issued. If you wait any longer, your new passport will expire on the same date as your old, uncorrected passport.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!