From that scraped knee you got as a kid to that recent cut you received in the shower from shaving, you’ve experienced a scar or two at some point. Even bug bites can leave constant reminders of past camping trips. Your body naturally sheds layers of skin. Regardless, scars can still be visible. And although they are a natural part of life, you can remove scars. Cocoa butter is a great beauty treatment to hydrate and smooth skin, that doubles as a scar removal cream.
Things You'll Need
- Pure cocoa butter
Treatment for Scars
Start with clean skin. This prepares the scar for treatment. For extra healing benefits, exfoliate the skin with a course wash cloth in the shower, then towel dry.
Firmly massage pure cocoa butter directly into the skin in a firm, circular motion. Since scars are made up of thick, fibrous collagen, the rubbing motion aids in smoothing the appearance of the scar. In addition, moisture from cocoa butter helps stimulate the breakdown of the collagen protein.
Make sure to continue massaging skin until cocoa butter disappears. Skin responds well to moisture and the biggest benefit of using the scar removal cream is the skin hydration it provides. Pure cocoa butter, because of its great moisturizing qualities, has great affects on old and new scars. Hydrating the skin with pure cocoa butter will not only lubricate skin, but help lighten scars
Continue this application up to three times a day. Over time, you will begin to notice a change in the look and feel of your skin, plus a less visible scar. Also remember your skin will continue to heal itself with aggressive massaging.
Tips & Warnings
- You can find pure cocoa butter at your local health food store.
- If you have cocoa butter at your home, whether it’s pure or one of the mass-produced brands (i.e., Palmer's cocoa butter) you can still get started with the process. Once you’ve used it all, move on to pure cocoa butter.
- Remember, skin loves hydration and this is one of the best things you can do to begin to rid yourself of unsightly scars.
- Do not try to use this method on open wounds. Wait until your wound has completely healed before attempting to remove scars.
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
Scar Treatment for Kids
Children frequently get a wide range of scars. Scars are the body's way of healing a wound or injury to the skin....
What Does Cocoa Butter Do for the Skin?
Cocoa butter is a natural product made from the vegetable fat of cocoa beans. It is a popular folk remedy. It is...
- How to Get Rid of Old Acne Scars
- Does Cocoa Butter Work on Stretch Marks?