The easiest way to make artificial flowers is to make them from tissue paper. It's also very inexpensive to make flowers from tissue paper. This is a great craft project to do together with your kids on the weekend, or on spring or summer vacation. Read on to learn how to make artificial flowers.
Things You'll Need
- Tissue paper
- Chenille stems
Cut the tissue paper into rectangular segments. When selecting the paper color, go with all bright colors or all pastel colors, and use multiple colors for each flower. The size of the tissue paper will depend on the final size of the flowers. Keep in mind that 5 x 7 inch rectangles of tissue paper will make medium-sized flowers, whereas larger rectangles will result in much larger flowers.
Stack about six of the pieces of tissue paper, being sure to alternate the colors in each layer. Starting from the longest end, begin to fold the tissue paper in an accordion fold.
Wrap a green chenille stem around the middle of the folded tissue paper. Twist it tightly as you would a twist tie around a bag of bread to hold it in place.
Separate each layer of tissue paper, slowly, gradually and with great care. The finished product should be slightly crumpled and bunched together. Take a vase and place the green chenille stem inside. A glass bud vase will show off the flower to best effect, but a ceramic vase will do well also. Another great project to go with this one is making a handmade bud vase. Try making a paper mache vase together with the kids. Once your vase is completely dry, paint it with watercolors or with finger paints.
Tips & Warnings
- It's fun to do this project with your kids, even if it's Mother's Day or your birthday. After all, the fun of the project is part of your gift.
- For larger flowers, wrap your green chenille stem around a wooden dowel.
- Make an entire bouquet of tissue paper flowers of different colors, shapes and sizes, and place them in a vase as a special gift.
- Vinegar jars make great vases, especially the ones that are colored green.
- Use a heart shaped flower petal template to make roses, and a flame shaped template to make water lilies. Don't hesitate to try your hand at other flowers, such as tulips, daffodils and daisies.
- For a more realistic effect, wrap green cloth floral tape around floral wire to make stems, and wrap artificial leaves around them.
Making the Petals for Artificial Flowers
Learn how to make the petals of a tissue paper flower when making artificial flowers in this free home arts and crafts...
How to Make Fake Trees for Dioramas
Children and adults alike are fascinated by dioramas. When children make a diorama for a school project not only do they learn...
How to Make Your Own Fake Water for Artificial Flowers
The finishing touch for a fresh flower arrangement is a beautiful vase filled with water. The same applies to an artificial flower...
How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements
The basis of any artificial flower arrangement is greenery, and it should be placed in such a way that it hides the...