Many ham radio operators take pride in constructing radios and peripheral equipment. Especially popular is low-power (QRP) equipment.
Things You'll Need
- Ham Radios Kit
- Phillips Screwdrivers
- Electrical Testers
- Needle-nose Pliers
- Nut Drivers
- Slotted Screwdrivers
- Soldering Guns/irons
- Wire Nippers
- Wire-insulation Strippers
Set up a clean, well-lighted work area.
Accumulate a basic set of tools and test equipment.
Develop your technique with a soldering iron and other tools by undertaking a simple project, such as an antenna tuner or a coaxial switch.
Choose a ham radio kit.
Check the contents of the kit against the parts list.
Follow the kit instructions exactly.
Test the kit before installing in the proper enclosure.
Troubleshoot possible flaws using the manual.
Tips & Warnings
- Remember that the key to proper assembly is learning to solder correctly.
- Find an "Elmer" who's proficient in electronic assembly and ask for guidance.
- Make sure your work area is secure, since you may want to leave parts and tools out. Other people, children and pets might unwittingly do damage.
- Soldering requires a steady hand and eye.
- Working with circuit boards and integrated circuits requires careful handling because even a minor static charge can ruin an integrated circuit.
How to Build a Radio Kit
How to Build a Ham Radio Shed. Building a ham radio shed is more a matter of adding equipment than shed construction....
How to Make Your Own Radio
How to Create Your Own Radio Station on the Web. ... How to Make Your Own Ham Radio Kit. What to Record...
How to Build a Cheap Antenna Tuner for a Ham Radio
How to Build Your Own Ham Radio; How to Build an Antenna Tuner; Print this article; Things You'll Need. Scrap wood board,...
How to Build a Radio
A variable capacitor is not a familiar term to most. No, it's not a device that makes time travel possible. It does...