We'll keep this short so you can get back to work.
Things You'll Need
- Business Card Holders
- Electronic Personal Organizers
- File Cabinets
- Wall Clocks
- Post-it Notes
- Hanging Files
- Manila File Folders
- Personal Organizers
Keep your desk and your files organized to avoid wasting time shuffling through piles of paper.
Go through your inbox at the beginning of each work day. Either throw away, file or follow up on each item.
Prioritize a list of the tasks you need to accomplish that day.
Delegate tasks to co-workers and assistants if possible.
Finish one task before you go on to the next.
Reduce paperwork by storing important information on your computer or electronic organizer.
Communicate effectively and plan carefully to make sure a job is done properly the first time around.
Schedule time when you'll be available, and let colleagues know, to avoid constant interruptions. Close the door if you need to.
Take breaks. A short walk or quick lunch away from the office will increase your overall productivity.
Before leaving for the day, tidy up your desk and make a short list of projects you will need to do the next day.
Try not to take work home. You need the break.
Tips & Warnings
- Recognize when you have the most energy in a day and do the important or harder tasks then.
- Note that certain days (usually Monday or Friday) are more hectic than others, and schedule accordingly.
- Have someone else answer your phone if possible. Give instructions about calls you wish to take and those that can be returned later.
- Avoid regularly going out for long business lunches - big meals make for unproductive afternoons.
- Avoid procrastination (see "How to Break the Procrastination Habit").
How to Work Effectively in Groups
Business projects often require a multidisciplinary team of employees to work together to find solutions and effect outcomes. Groups often consist of...
How to Work From Home
Whether you are running your own business or telecommuting for your regular job, working from home offers a range of benefits. You...
How to Manage Your Time Effectively
Managing your time effectively helps you accomplish more each day. An effective time management strategy also can reduce your stress, which means...
How to Work Effectively in a Team Environment
"Work effectively in a team environment" is a ubiquitous job description. It's an important skill for almost every employee to have. Being...
How to Make a More Efficient Workplace
An efficient workplace allows for a smooth flow of work from the start of a project to the end. Fewer mistakes and...