Did your cat or dog get sprayed during your weekend away at the cabin? Fear not: applying the following steps, you should be able to get rid of it-- though it obviously helps to keep your pet outdoors until you're completely finished.
Things You'll Need
- Dr. Bronner's Bar Soap
- Kiss My Face Shampoo and Crème Rinse
- Douche (such as Dr. Massengill's)
- Tomato Juice
- Dog Grooming Sprays
- Commercially Prepared Skunk Odor Removers
- Cotton Swabs
- 4 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. liquid dish soap
- Dog Conditioner
- Garden Hoses And Attachments
- Rubber Gloves
- 4 c. hydrogen peroxides
Mix 4 c. hydrogen peroxide with 4 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. dish-washing soap.
Put cotton balls in your pet's ears to protect the inner-ear tissue from the cleaning mixture, which could easily drip in.
Don rubber gloves to protect your hands during this process.
Start with your pet's head, taking care not to get the solution into his eyes, ears or mouth. Apply a drop of olive or baby oil to his eyes to prevent irritation.
Rub the mixture evenly into your pet's coat. It will probably be more pleasant to do this outdoors.
Rinse the coat with clean water.
Repeat if the smell persists.
Tips & Warnings
- Tomato juice also neutralizes the effects of skunk odor. Rub it into your pet's fur, let it soak for approximately 15 minutes, then wash it off with water.
- Commercially prepared skunk odor remover or douches that remove skunk scents from fur are also available. Ask your veterinarian for advice on which product works best.
- To help prevent your pet from being sprayed, use a leash when in the woods or country.
- Skunks can carry rabies, so make sure your pet's vaccinations are current before you visit areas frequented by skunks.
About Skunk Smell
The smell of skunk is an extremely offensive odor that can burn your eyes and make you nauseous. For the skunk, it...
How to Remove Skunk Odor From a Cat Without Bathing It
It's possible to apply skunk odor remedies without putting your cat in a tub of water, but you'll still have to rinse...
How to Get Skunk Smell Out of Carpet
Skunk smell is notoriously strong and difficult to remove. There are different ways the smell can invade your carpet --- your pet...
How to Get Skunk Smell Out of Dogs With Hydrogen Peroxide
Dogs often confront skunks, even if they've been sprayed before. Skunk spray is pungent enough to cause nausea and may temporarily blind...