Graham crackers are tasty on their own, but coat them with chocolate and you've got a decadent treat that's super easy to prepare. The graham cracker squares only need to be dipped in your favorite type of chocolate and chilled before digging in. If you wish, enhance these chocolate-coated crackers with decorative and delicious toppings, transforming them into a gourmet-style dessert you can share with friends.
Things You'll Need
- Chocolate squares or chips
- Heat-proof bowl
- Pot or double boiler
- Whisk or large spoon
- Baking sheet
- Parchment or wax paper
- Crushed candies, nuts or sprinkles (optional)
Place chopped chocolate squares or chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl or the top pot of a double boiler. You can use any type of chocolate, including bittersweet, dark or semi-sweet. For 12 sheets of graham crackers, use about 12 ounces of chocolate.
Fill a small pot or the bottom pot of a double boiler halfway with water and bring the water to a low simmer on the stove. Sit the bowl or pot with chocolate on top and stir constantly with a whisk or large spoon until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat.
Break the graham crackers into equal-sized squares with two segments or into individual rectangular segments, depending on your preference.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
Dip the graham crackers, one at a time, into the melted chocolate, turning them so both sides are fully coated. Use plastic tongs to help you carefully dip the graham crackers without getting your fingers messy or scalded.
Place the coated graham crackers on the lined baking sheet. If you wish, sprinkle the coated graham crackers with colorful sprinkles, crushed candies or crushed nuts.
Chill the coated graham crackers in the refrigerator until the chocolate is fully set.
Tips & Warnings
- You can store the graham crackers in an airtight container, layered between sheets of parchment paper. Keep them in the refrigerator for up to one week, or at room temperature for no more than three days.
- Place a few of the treats in clear or colored cellophane bags with decorative ribbon to give as gifts.
- Melt different types of chocolate and drizzle it on top of the coated graham crackers as another decorative option.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave as an alternative to the stove, setting the power to 50 percent for 1 minute. Continue microwave in 20- to 30-second bursts, stirring each time until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Do not allow water from the pot to get into the melting chocolate.
- Photo Credit KLSbear/iStock/Getty Images
How to Make Chocolate Eclair Cake
It's really easy to make a delicious homemade chocolate eclair cake.
How to Make a Simple Snack Using Graham Crackers
Graham crackers make a good snack by themselves, but mixing it up with different toppings keeps your taste buds hopping.
How to Make Easy Desserts Using Graham Crackers
6 easy dessert ideas featuring graham crackers including indoor s'mores, no-bake icebox cakes and cream pie ideas.
How to Make a Graham Cracker Pudding Dessert
Graham Cracker pudding desserts are simple to make since they rarely require cooking. This version needs to have its elements layered together,...
Easy to Make Graham Cracker Crust Recipe
A photo tutorial on how to make an easy graham cracker crust. Perfect for a wide variety of pies, this crust recipe...