A watermelon fruit bowl is a delight at a summer party. It is a colorful and nutritious dessert. When you place a watermelon bowl in the center of a party buffet table it adds a bit of fun to the party.
Things You'll Need
- large spoon
- melon ball spoon to make balls of fruit
- blueberries, kiwi, honeydew, mango
- a large bowl
Create a Festive Dessert
Slice the top 1/4 of the watermelon off with a horizontal cut. Then scoop out the contents of the watermelon with a large spoon. Empty the watermelon of fruit so you may fill it with the mixture of cut up watermelon and other fruits.
Cut some of the watermelon into chunks. Then also cut some of the watermelon into ball shaped pieces using the melon ball spoon.
Put the cut up watermelon into a large bowl and add the blueberries.
Peel 4 kiwis and slice them into thin slices. Then add them to the fruit bowl. Next use the melon ball spoon to make balls from the honeydew and add it to the fruit bowl. Cut the mango into chunks and also add it to the fruit bowl.
Stir the fruit in the fruit bowl gently to mix it up. Then start to transfer the fruit bowl contents back into the hollowed out watermelon rind. Once you have filled the watermelon with fruit you may want to stick a few tiny American flags on toothpicks along the back of the rind, or a few tiny, colorful parasol umbrellas on toothpicks to make the watermelon bowl look festive.
Tips & Warnings
- Prepare the watermelon bowl a few hours before the party and refrigerate to chill the fruit
- Use a variety of fruits; be creative and pick your favorite fruits
- This recipe will be popular so get a large watermelon
- Allow enough time to cut up the fruit
- If the party is outdoors cover the watermelon boat with clear plastic wrap to keep flies away
How to Cut a Watermelon Into Cubes
With a few simple cuts, using two types of knives, you can cube watermelon for use in a refreshing summertime soup, salad...