Many people think that a low-carb diet entails going without dessert. But on the Atkins Diet, dessert is easy, with a little planning. Learn how to fit dessert into your low-carb, high-fat diet plan.
Things You'll Need
- Heavy (whipping) cream.
- Cream cheese
- Powered cocoa
- A mixing bowl or blender
- Cottage cheese
First, remember that while Atkins is low-carb, it is also high-fat. That means you don't need to be scared of creams, cheeses and other high-fat items in your desserts.
A favorite dessert of Atkins diet adherents is whipped cream. Put some heavy (whipping) cream in a blender or mixing bowl, add a tablespoon of Splenda and whip. When it is stiff enough to stand a spoon in, it's ready to eat. It tastes better cold, so don't let it get warm. Add a little powdered cocoa for color.
Cheesecake is also a popular Atkins Diet dessert. Mix a package of cream cheese, an egg, a half-cup of Splenda, a pinch of salt and a dollop of heavy cream. Put in a pie dish and bake at 350 degrees until the top browns (about a half-hour).
You can also add cottage cheese to the cheesecake recipe to create a little more substance. But remember that cottage cheese is not allowed in the induction phase of Atkins.
Another easy Atkins dessert recipe is puffs. Whip egg whites in a bowl until they form stiff peaks. Carefully fold in a tablespoon of cocoa and a quarter cup of Splenda. Place dollops onto a cooking sheet and bake for a half-hour at 200 degrees. Let them dry out thoroughly, and enjoy.
Low-carb ice creams and other commercial desserts can be used in Atkins, but beware of sugar alcohols. While they don't increase carb counts, they can cause serious gastric distress, even in small quantities.
Ideally, you won't crave dessert on the Atkins Diet, because being in ketosis often takes away cravings for sugar. But a little creativity can go a long way when the craving sneaks up on you.
Tips & Warnings
- If you crave fruit for dessert, melons and strawberries are encouraged in the later phases of Atkins, but are not allowed during induction.
- Heavy (whipping) cream can be an Atkins Dieter's best friend. Keep this handy ingredient in the fridge at all times.
- Remember that Atkins is a high-fat diet, not a high-protein one. Don't be scared of fat; it helps to keep you in ketosis, which in turns burns fat.
- The Atkins Diet specifically recommends Splenda over other sugar substitutes. If you use other sugar substitutes, remember that some are not suited to baking at high temperatures.
- Stick to your strict list of allowed foods during induction to maximize fat and weight loss.
- Remember that milk is not allowed in any phase of Atkins.
- Store-bought ice creams and other desserts can be tasty, but also contain sugar alcohols that can lead to diarrhea.
The Atkins Diet Meal Plan
According to a Stanford University study, the Atkins diet is more effective than the Zone diet, Ornish diet and U.S. government weight...
What to Snack on While Doing Atkins Diet
The Atkins Diet is a popular and effective way to lose weight. Because the diet limits the intake of carbohydrates, snack time...