Few things taste as good as homemade soup and few processes are as soothing as making it from scratch. An easy chicken and vegetable soup is versatile and sure to please.
Things You'll Need
- 1 large chicken breast
- 32-oz. chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry
- 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, washed and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh green beans, chopped
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
Bake the chicken breast in a 375 degree oven until cooked through, approximately 20 minutes.
Heat a large pot over a medium flame. Add the olive oil and sautee the onions and celery for approximately four minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
Add the chicken broth, white wine and diced tomatoes to the pot. Stir in the bay leaves and dried thyme.
Add the diced and chopped vegetables, as well as the frozen corn.
When the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and dice. Add the chicken to the soup.
Bring the soup to a boil and then allow to simmer, covered, over a very low heat for one hour, or at least until the potatoes are cooked through. Enjoy delicious, healthy homemade soup.
Tips & Warnings
- Leftover roast chicken (or turkey) can be substituted for the baked chicken breast in this recipe, which makes the process even quicker and easier.
- The bay leaves should be removed before eating; this is best accomplished when serving the soup.
- Photo Credit bowl of chicken noodle soup with rustic bread image by David Smith from Fotolia.com
How to Make Vegetable Soup
Do you enjoy soup? Not only is vegetable soup healthy, but it's easy to make and easy to adjust for any occasion...
How to Make Vegetable Soup From Scratch
The great thing about vegetable soup is that it is cheap, easy, healthy and delicious. Also, there are many different variations. The...
How to Thicken Vegetable Soup
Soup is a dish you can eat just about any time. It's a satisfying accompaniment to a lunch-time sandwich, or add a...
How to Make Easy Crock Pot Soup
Making soup in a Crock Pot is similar to painting on a white canvas; you can put anything inside of the pot...
How to Freeze Chicken Vegetable Soup
Making chicken vegetable soup from scratch is always worth the time and effort because it is delicious and heartwarming. Since it does...
Ways to Add Flavor to Homemade Vegetable Soup
Homemade soups can be as complicated as minestrone or as simple as French onion, which depends on only one vegetable. The broth...
Herbs for Chicken Soup
Chicken soup has a reputation as a comfort food -- reminiscent of simple, yet elegant, homemade cooking. Chicken soup, prepared well and...