Slipping Rib Syndrome is a painful condition, mimicking a heart attack. Learn about the steps in diagnosing this condition and warnings to look for that can differentiate between a heart attack and slipping rib syndrome.
Things You'll Need
- Medical sonography machine
- Therapy bands
Seek a qualified physician, chiropractor or orthopedist.
Tell them your symptoms, being as precise as you can be to get an accurate diagnosis.
Ask for an ultrasound of the ribs or have the doctor palpitate the region, mostly the costal region and upper abdomen, checking for any abnormality or slippage. If the area is tender or muscle spasms can be detected, slipping rib syndrome would most-likely be the diagnosis.
Once diagnosed, ask about exercises to help strengthen the costal area, where the ribs are located.
Take anti-inflammatory medication to help reduce swelling and inflammation of the intercostal region and limit strenuous activity involving the affected ribs.
Tips & Warnings
- Get educated. Ask the doctor everything about slipping rib syndrome and things you need to watch out for or limit.
- Once that is explained, strengthen the costal region with simple exercises suggested by your doctor.
- Slipping rib syndrome usually affects the 8th, 9th and 10th ribs.
- Costochondritits, a similar condition, usually affects the muscles lining the 11th and 12th ribs--if over-activated during exercise, tenderness and muscle spasms may result.
- If slipping rib syndrome is severe, nerve blocks or surgery may be required.
- Photo Credit Biology Department, College of St. Benedict's
What Is TMJ Surgery?
TMJ is the medical term for conditions affecting the temporomandibular joint in a person's jaw. Adults and children are both prone to...
Rib Cage Protrusion in Cushing's Disease
Cushing's disease, also known as hypercortisolism, is a hormonal disorder caused by a long period of exposure to high levels of the...
How to Diagnose Bruised Ribs
If you're suffering pain in your rib cage as a result of trauma, you may have damage to the ribs. Common rib...
How to Spot Symptoms of Costochondritis
Costochondritis is a painful condition. It causes inflammation and tenderness of the cartilage along the area where the ribs connect to the...
Rib Subluxation Treatment
Rib subluxation is a condition in which a rib is off alignment. The resulting pain can be as benign as mild pain...