A four poster bed is a beautiful addition to any bedroom. It can add an elegant touch to your home decorating style, but these beds can be quite expensive. You can save money by building your own four poster bed. This allows you to create the bed you have always dreamed of having.
Things You'll Need
- Measuring tape
- 3/4-inch thick plywood to cover the dimensions of the headboard
- Wood glue
- Electric sander
- 4 x 4 posts at least 6 feet high--determine the height by how tall you want your posts to be
- Lathe duplicator
- 3 pieces of 1 inch by 8 foot pine board
- Electric drill
- Paint or stain
Measure the dimensions of the bed that you want. This is essential to having your bed turn out properly. If you already own the mattress, verify that it will fit onto your bed.
Make the headboard of the bed. Glue together the pieces of plywood. Clamp and wait for them to dry. Trace the shape of the headboard onto the wood and cut. Sand the headboard smooth.
Create the posts for the bed. Use the 4 by 4 posts that you purchased from the hardwood store. You may choose to use a lathe duplicator to create a pattern in your posts, or you can purchase posts that already have a pattern in them.
Build the bed frame. This should match the dimensions of your mattress. Cut the 1 inch by 8 foot boards to the correct length and connect one to two of the posts. Drill a hole and then screw the boards into place. Be sure that the boards are flush. Repeat by connecting the other 1 inch by 8 foot board to the other two posts.
Attach the headboard to the two sides of the bed using screws and your drill. Then attach the foot board (a 1 inch by 8 foot board cut to the specific measurements of your bed).
Cut rails from the plywood to hold up the mattress. You should have at least three rails. The rails should be about 6 inches wide. Attach rails down the length of the bed between the two side boards using screws.
Paint or stain your bed. Allow it to dry.
Tips & Warnings
- Be sure to measure the bed dimensions carefully. This is the key to creating the perfect project.
- You may add a foot board that is higher by creating one out of plywood. Just follow the instructions for the headboard.
- You can also connect the four posters on the top with poles or by cutting a molding pattern from plywood.
How to Build a Canopy for a Four Poster Bed Frame With Wood
If you have a four-poster bed, you are halfway to having a very elegant bedroom setup. If you want to go all...