It takes 30 to 40 leaves on an apple tree to produce the food necessary to feed an apple and make it grow. Therefore, if you want your apples to grow large and well rounded, you cannot allow five or six apples to grow from each cluster of blossoms on every twig or branch. You can manually remove the smaller blossoms leaving the larger healthier blossom in the cluster to make the apple.
Things You'll Need
- Rubbing alcohol
Wipe down the blades of your scissors with rubbing alcohol. Tools can spread disease throughout trees.
Choose one or two branches on your apple tree to begin thinning blossoms and dive in. Without many helpers, you can't thin an entire tree in one day. Work on the tree over the course of several days.
Identify the biggest, healthiest looking blossom in each cluster. Leave that one and remove the other blossoms around it in each cluster of blossoms, snipping them with scissors or plucking them with your fingers.
Thin one group at a time, taking care not to damage the apple blossoms that you intend to leave.
Use a ladder, as needed, to reach blossom clusters.
Tips & Warnings
- Even if you do not get around to removing all of the excess blossoms, removing a few should help your fruit grow bigger and better.
- If you miss the blossoming stage, remove tiny apples as they develop, leaving only the largest in each cluster to develop. Dispose of the other apples in a compost pile, away from the tree.
- Place the freshly removed blossoms in a bowl in your bathroom to add a light fragrance and their beauty for the day.
- Never stand on the top rung of a ladder.
- When working on the ladder it would be safer to have a person hold it for you.
- Photo Credit NA/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
How to Grow Dwarf Apple Trees
Dwarf apple trees are a great way to grow apples in a small space. However, size is not the only advantage they...
How to Grow Apple Trees
Apple trees need full sun, adequate moisture and yearly fertilizing for a good crop each year. Staking is also important for young...
How to Grow Pink Lady Apples
A crossing of Golden Delicious and Lady William apple varieties resulted in the hybrid Pink Lady being developed by the Australia Department...
Apple Blossom Trees
Cassia javanica, or the apple blossom tree, can be a spectacular sight as it becomes a shower of showy pink flowers with...
Which States Grow Transparent Apple Trees?
The 'Yellow Transparent' apple was imported from Russia by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 1870. The tree is found throughout the...