Millions of people across the United States are allergic to the urushiol oil found in Poison Ivy Leaves. Here are several home remedies to help relieve the pain and itch associated with poison ivy.
Things You'll Need
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Cool Water
- Baking Soda
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Aloe Vera Gel
DISH LIQUID: Once skin comes in contact with Poison Ivy, immediately wash the area with a grease-cutting dish washing liquid (like Dawn) and plenty of COOL water. Rinse several times with cool water and pat dry. The dish liquid helps to break up and wash away the urushiol oil before it penetrates the skin.
OATMEAL: Boil the oatmeal in water and let it cool for a few minutes. Stir in two Tablespoons of Baking Soda. Mix until a thick paste forms. Apply the warm (not hot) oatmeal to the affected area. Completely cover in a thick layer. Allow the oatmeal mixture to dry and harden. Once dry, gently rinse the oatmeal off with cool water. Pat dry with a soft cloth. This will relieve itching and help dry the rash.
BAKING SODA: Mix three teaspoons of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water until thick. Apply the baking soda paste to the rash and allow it to dry. Once dry, gently rinse the paste off with cool water. Pat dry with a soft cloth. This will relieve itching and help dry the rash.
ALOE VERA: Apply aloe vera gel to the affected areas to help relieve itching from poison ivy. Aloe vera also helps the rash to heal. You may use the aloe vera plant or a purchased aloe vera gel.
RUBBING ALCOHOL: Dab the affected area with a cotton ball saturated with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol will help stop the itching from poison ivy and dry up the blisters. Apply to the affected areas several times a day.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Dab the affected area with a cotton ball saturated with Apple Cider Vinegar. It will relieve the itchy red rash caused by Poison Ivy.
ORAL ANTIHISTAMINES: Oral antihistamines, such as Benadryl, help relieve the itch. Oral antihistamines can be purchased over the counter. Take only as directed on the package. This will block the histamines causing the itchy poison ivy rash.
PETS: If your pet has gotten into a patch of poison ivy, give them a warm bath with a grease-cutting soap immediately after contact. Your pets can't get poison ivy, but they can share it with you! The oil will remain on their fur and can be transferred to your skin causing the itchy, red, oozing rash.