A classic salad dressing, French dressing, is a food liked by many people. With its pleasing flavor, French dressing is sure to be a hit when served over salad at your next dinner.
Things You'll Need
- Garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Combine the vinegar, ketchup and water in a large bowl with a whisk or a spoon.
Add the garlic powder and sugar to the large bowl from Step 1. Stir well to combine.
Use a vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil and drizzle in the oil while vigorously whisking the mixture to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
Taste the French dressing and add salt and pepper to taste.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put the French dressing into the refrigerator until well chilled.
Serve the French dressing over your favorite salad. Iceberg salad with French dressing is a classic combination.
Tips & Warnings
- You can use any kind of vinegar that you want to in this recipe. Good choices include white vinegar, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- There's lots of variations for this popular salad dressing, so be sure to check out Cooks.com for some recipes to try. (See link in Resources.)
- Substitute finely chopped onion or finely chopped fresh garlic for the garlic powder in Step 2.
- Both white pepper and black pepper work well in this recipe.
- Make sure that you whisk the dressing very well while adding the oil in Step 3. If you don't the salad dressing can separate or not come together.
Homemade Catalina Dressing
Homemade French Dressing. Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing. Facts About Catalina Island. Prepare Homemade Vinaigrette Salad Dressing. Recent Blog Posts
How to Make Tomato-Based French Salad Dressing
Making tomato based French salad dressing is something you can do right in your very own kitchen. Find out how to make...
How to Dress Like a French Woman
"The ability to stay chic even when dressing down is one of the first rules of French style," writes Helena Firth Powell,...
How to Make Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
Combining cream and Dijon mustard to make a delicious salad dressing for your French salad; ... 15 Home Repairs for $15. View...
French Roquefort Dressing
You don't have to visit a fancy (and expensive) restaurant to enjoy French Roquefort dressing. Make French Roquefort dressing with help from...
List of French Salads
Salads never need be boring mélanges of iceberg lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing. If you are looking for inspiration, look at how...
How to Make Homemade Salad Dressings
How to Make Homemade Salad Dressings. ... Homemade French Dressing. The term "French dressing" has a different meaning in France than it...
Homemade Low Calorie Salad Dressing
... you can make some low calorie versions of your own at home. Add this to my Recipe Box. ... How to...
French Salad Ingredients
Salad & Salad Dressing Recipes; Salad Ingredients; French Salad Ingredients; French Salad Ingredients. Ingredients you'll need to make a French salad, ...