A classic salad dressing, French dressing, is a food liked by many people. With its pleasing flavor, French dressing is sure to be a hit when served over salad at your next dinner.
Things You'll Need
- Garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Combine the vinegar, ketchup and water in a large bowl with a whisk or a spoon.
Add the garlic powder and sugar to the large bowl from Step 1. Stir well to combine.
Use a vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil and drizzle in the oil while vigorously whisking the mixture to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
Taste the French dressing and add salt and pepper to taste.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put the French dressing into the refrigerator until well chilled.
Serve the French dressing over your favorite salad. Iceberg salad with French dressing is a classic combination.
Tips & Warnings
- You can use any kind of vinegar that you want to in this recipe. Good choices include white vinegar, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- There's lots of variations for this popular salad dressing, so be sure to check out Cooks.com for some recipes to try. (See link in Resources.)
- Substitute finely chopped onion or finely chopped fresh garlic for the garlic powder in Step 2.
- Both white pepper and black pepper work well in this recipe.
- Make sure that you whisk the dressing very well while adding the oil in Step 3. If you don't the salad dressing can separate or not come together.
- How to Dress Like a French Woman
How to Make Homemade Salad Dressings
Commercial salad dressings may be convenient but they come with a flavor tradeoff. Since they’re designed to last for months in your...
Homemade Low Calorie Salad Dressing
According to the USDA's Food Pyramid guidelines, a healthy diet consists of a calorie budget comprised of "essentials" and "extra", or discretionary...
List of French Salads
While several French salads have reached iconic status, a definitive list would be impossible; there are thousands of variations on the theme...
Homemade Catalina Dressing
Catalina dressing named for Catalan, Spain, making it no surprise that this dressing is bursting with flavor and spice. It is a...