How to Update or Correct Your Credit Score


If you have a negative entry on your credit report, it is up to your creditor to change or correct it. Credit reporting agencies, such as Experian, TransUnion and Equifax do not have the authority to change information unless one of two things happen: 1) They are authorized by the creditor to make the change. 2) The credit reporting agency does an investigation and the creditor fails to respond. If you have found a mistake on your credit report and you want to correct it, you must follow the procedure outlined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). That procedure is outlined below.

  • Send a letter by certified mail to each of the credit reporting agencies that have incorrect information. Include a copy of any documentation supporting your claim that the data is inaccurate.

    Save your certified mail receipt and a copy of the letter. For the address of each credit reporting agency, please see my eHow article, "Contacting Credit Reporting Agencies by Mail." The link is at the bottom of this page.

  • Send a letter by certified mail to the creditor that made the incorrect entry on your credit report. Include a copy of any documentation supporting your claim that the data is inaccurate. In the letter demand that the record be updated within 30 days. Let them know that failing to update this information within 30 days is a violation of FCRA.

  • Wait 30 days and check to see that your credit report is updated. If it isn't send a second letter by certified mail to the credit reporting agency. Enclose a copy of the letter you sent to the creditor.

  • If your record still isn't updated and you have proof that they have made an incorrect claim against you, then you have the right to sue your creditor. FCRA protects you against unfair reporting and you will win in small claims court.

Related Searches

Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

  • How Often Are Credit Scores Updated?

    Your credit score is a very important number because it directly affects your ability to get credit cards, loans and other accounts....

  • How to Fix Bad Credit

    Living with debt or bad credit can be very stressful, but help is closer than you realize. Improving your credit rating requires...

  • How to Fix Your Credit Score Yourself

    You don't have to hire a debt attorney or a credit counselor to raise your credit score. You can take matters into...

  • How to Update Your Credit Report Fast

    Having your credit up to date is essential, since negative or incorrect information can have a profound impact on your life. Negative...

  • How to Correct a Credit Rating

    Correct a credit rating by getting copies of credit reports from each credit bureau, checking the reports line by line and writing...

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!