Make your own ginger ale, ginger tea and delicious ginger flavored foods and desserts once you make ginger syrup. This versatile tasty syrup tastes very good when you drizzle over ice cream, fresh fruit or pancakes. The best thing about making ginger syrup is that if you can boil water, you can make this condiment in no time.
Things You'll Need
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 2 ½ to 3 inches long
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup
- Cutting board
- Small strainer
Peel the fresh ginger and chop it into approximately ½-inch pieces. Cut those pieces into thin strips.
Pour the water and sugar into a small saucepan.
Add the cut up ginger pieces to the saucepan.
Heat the mixture until it comes to a gentle boil over medium heat.
Lower the heat and simmer the ginger mixture for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until all of the sugar dissolves. Make sure to stir the mixture gently during this time as it thickens.
Remove the ginger syrup from the heat and take out the pieces of ginger from syrup. Discard the ginger pieces or refrigerate them for later use in cooking.
Allow the ginger syrup to cool slightly, then strain in it into a storage container with a lid that closes securely.
Tips & Warnings
- Ginger syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- And a split vanilla bean for a slightly different flavor. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add them, along with the bean shell, to the saucepan before cooking.
- Make ginger tea by adding 1 to 2 tbsp. ginger syrup to 1 cup of hot or cold water.
- Mixing 1 to 2 tsp. ginger syrup to a cup of hot or cold brewed tea makes a wonderful tasting drink.
- Add 2 tbsp. of ginger syrup to seltzer or club sodas for delicious homemade ginger ale.
- Mix a small amount of ginger syrup with your favorite spices to make a moist paste to use as a rub for meats.
How to Make Ginger Syrup Drinks
You can make ginger syrup drinks by following a few basic, easy to manage steps. Find out how to make ginger syrup...
How to Make Ginger Ale
How to Make Ginger Ale. ... How to Make Ginger Syrup. Make your own ginger ale, ginger tea and delicious ginger flavored...
Homemade Cough Syrup
Use homemade cough syrup created from natural ingredients to relieve a cough without suffering from the common side effects of over-the ......
Ginger Margarita Recipe
The recipe for a ginger margarita calls for tequila, Cointreau, sour mix and ginger syrup or ginger paste. Get tips for mixing...
Substitution for Molasses in Cookies
An additional 1 tsp. of cinnamon and 1 tsp. ginger complement the maple flavor. ... How to Substitute Light Corn Syrup in...
About Fresh Ginger Substitutes
About Fresh Ginger Substitutes. ... Ginger that has been cooked in a sweet syrup, then coated with sugar and dried is known...
How to Make Ginger-Infused Honey
How to Make Ginger Syrup. Make your own ginger ale, ... How to Make Ginger Infused Honey. I like to find creative......
How to Make Glue for Gingerbread Houses From Karo Syrup
When assembling a gingerbread house, you will need an adhesive to hold the pieces together. Since the gingerbread house contains edible items,...